Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Jaguar XK8: Morning I have a 99 xk8....runs well in all respects

Customer Question
Morning I have a 99 xk8....runs...
Morning
I have a 99 xk8....runs well in all respects except :
Sometimes the fob/alarm works and locks /unlocks and sometimes the loud Chirp and only the Key will lock or unlock ///
And thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
7/14/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
That is the error tone so if everything is closed and fully latched check the key in switch in the ignition lock cylinder. If it is sticking partially open the module thinks that the key is in the ignition. Let me know.
Key isnt in ignition,
Im outside the car ...I lock it on key ...I get beeep error
when the fob works - all good
when fob doesn;t work I lock it on the key - i get error toneAny Fix?
Yes I understand. If the door is stuck in the lock cylinder this will happen. Next time the problem occurs look to make sure the ignition door is fully closed. Look at it when the remote works so you see what it should look like.
WTF are you talking about !!!
When you insert the key into the ignition there is a little door that moves. Then when you remove the key this door should move back closed. If it stays open it can cause the problem. Look at the ignition cylinder and you should not be able to look inside it. If you can then the door is stuck.
No lil door on the ignition barrel ...just a hole for the key
Yes but we should not be able to see an opening all the way. Do this test. Open the door with the key not in the ignition and see if you hear a warning chime.
Open the door with the key not in the ignition - Car chimes
Ok then that door is stuck which is why the remote does not work. Insert and remove the key in the ignition a few times to see if the door will close.
yes that did it ...it also moved my steering wheel back up to its park position
is that it or do i need to do anything to fix it permanently ?
You can try lubricating it which usually will resolve the issue. A graphite lubricant works best.
Richard, Jaguar Technician