Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Jaguar XJS: Rich?

Customer Question

Rich?
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
96 Jaguar XJS won't turn over. Solenoid clicking, battery charged, terminals clean, battery ground to chassis re-seated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also connected jumper cables from another car for good measure.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Kevin you have two choices bad earth or bad starter one last test before condemning starter fit the earth jump lead between battery earth post and other end on gear box or engine somewhere to rule out earth issue if this doesn't work a new starter is needed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm inclined to agree but, this is an on going issue that suddenly goes away. A few months ago, I grounded the the battery to the frame with separate jumper cables and the car started right up. So I cleaned the ground to the chassis connection. But I cannot get the car to turn over any more. Even if I ground with a jumper to the chassis. Just solenoid clicking. The fact the it started right up a few months age sort of tells me its not the starter.This guy solved his issue with a crank sensor. Hard to believe thoiugh. What do you think?
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/1996-xj6-wont-start-33489/
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Crank sensor doesn't come into play until engine is turning as it measures engine speed so it won't cause a no crank symptom I'm sure in this case you have starter failure
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need my help please rate my service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Need to get a started motor, will let you know when it's in.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
No worries. Please remember to rate my service
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any luck with car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sort of a low priority. I got the car out of storage. Pushed it on to the driveway where I can work on it. Still need to decide weather to pull the starter myself or tow it to a mechanic. Will update later. Electric has strange behavior on this car. Battery likes to drain if you don't drive every day,so I need to keep a maintenance charger on it. Will update when I get the starter changed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Ok no worries just checking in