Mike, Diagnostic Technician for 30 years
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..
9261905

Have a new battery -2000 XJ8 It's being drained overnite -

Customer Question

Have a new battery -2000 XJ8
It's being drained overnite - what can I do to find the problem ??
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -
I take it you fitted a new battery thinking perhaps the old one was no good - going flat...and now the new one is going dead over several hours.
That being the case - there can be any one of many reasons for a battery being drained over time / over night -when left..
It can be something as simple as the trunk light - or glove box / dash light staying ON when it should go off.. or even under hood light if fitted .
The one way to check these things is to remove the bulbs - then retry the car.. thats a simple way. You cant just open the compartments and check - as you wont really know if the light was on all the time or not so removing the bulbs will tell - If it retains its charge, you know its one of those.. faulty switch usually.
The other way - the proper way , is to connect an amp meter - You remove the keys from the car.. remove the battery pos terminal.. and connect an amp meter between the lead terminal and the batt connection - looking for excess draw.
Then you go to the fuse boxes - and literally pull each fuse one at a time - while you or someone watches the meter to check for when it drops out... then you have identified the "circuit" the battery parasitic drain is on.. then you progress to checking the individual components on that given circuit.
This can be a time consuming task but its the way its done. If you dont want to or cannot do as above yourself, I would recommend to use an Auto Spark / electrician - as they know how to do this ok.
Just one thing before you do anything - leaving the key in the ign can cause this to happen. Some have been known to to this when the car is otherwise secured...in a garage for example.. so I mention that , just in case. It will kill a good battery doing that.
So Im sorry I cant say it will be this or that specifically - other than checking those lights as mentioned - that is the way to deal with / sort this problem for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-Meantime ----- Please click on the Exc / OK rating for me at this time.. - "Thank you" in advance for that -
... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.