Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar s type: 2000 style rear door will intermittently not…

Customer Question
2000 style rear door will...
2000 style rear door will intermittently not latch. Got to duct tape door close. Thanks Bill
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/27/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
The problem is either the latch itself, improper door or striker adjustment, or something in the door holding the latch release rod in the released position. Bent linkage or something foreign binding the linkage such as the water dam can cause what you're having, you should note an irregular resistance when moving the handle if that's the case.
Make sure the door appears to be adjusted properly, make sure the striker is undamaged an looks like it hasn't moved. You can also look at how the striker is contacting the latch to see if it appears to be adjusted correctly.
You can try closing the latch pawl with a screwdriver. If it won't stay closed then the problem is the latch or an issue inside the door. If the linkage isn't binding and staying in the released position then the problem is the latch.
The latch moves freely will not stay in the lock position. Duct tape the door closed. Got home took duct tape off, opened door and closed door and it latched.
The problem is most likely the latch. You'll need to remove the door panel and ensure nothing is holding the release linkage in the release position before condemning the latch.
OK I will take the door panel off and get back to you. Thanks Bill
You're welcome!
I took the door panel off everything is fine I think. I took a flashlight and mirror but couldn't see anything in the way. What do you think? Bill
It's almost surely the latch itself. What you can do is remove the linkage from the latch and then close the pawl by hand and see if it stays. If not then replace the latch. (don't attempt to close the door with the linkage removed)
Do I have to remove the acuater with the latch? Bill
The power lock actuator is an integral part of the door latch assembly.
So is that yes? Acuater and latch all are removed together? Bill
Yes, the latch and actuator are one piece. They are removed and replaced as one piece, they aren't ever intended to be separated from each other.
I may be a little slow today but the problem is with the acuater? Bill
The problem is with the door latch not staying in the locked position. If the problem happens with the linkage disconnected then the problem is internal in the latch, whatever the cause.
I will take the assembly out and let you know what I find. By the way. Is this difficult to do?? Bill
It calls for 1.2 hours to replace. You have to remove the door panel, window and window regulator and then the latch can be removed from the door.
I am almost there but how do i remove the bezel? Bill
Are you able to upload a picture of what you're having trouble with?
Hl I have the latch out and the bezel came off in one piece . To roubleshoot the latch should I take it apart or bench test it first with my tester to see if there's the right voltage? Bill
That's nothing that needs to be tested with the latch other than removing the linkage and ensuring that the pawl doesn't stay in the lock position when move. If the linkage from the handle wasn't physically holding the latch in the unlock position then the latch needs to be replaced.
When do you rate you?? Bill
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You should see a rating box on your screen.
I'm seeing that you have requested a recommendation for a local shop although I thought you were repairing the issue yourself since you already had it apart. I couldn't recommend any local shops based on personal experience but if you post your zip code I could research what is available in the area.
I never requested anyone other!! Thanks Bill
I'm not sure why it shows that on my end, I knew that you had made it that far and didn't expect you were take it to a shop at this point.