Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar 2003: Richard, How difficult is it to change the

Customer Question

Hi Richard, How difficult is it to change the fuel pumps in a 2003 Jaguar XJR? I understand there are two, where are they located? Are any special tools required?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Is the engine light on with a specific fault code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. When you first turn on the key, all lights go on, but soon after you start the car all lights go out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only when you connect the scanner to the OBDII do you see that a code is appearing, but not on the dash. The code says that the egr sensor is not talking to the computer, but after careful checking the egr sensor is working fine. Replacing it resulted in no change.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is it an actual dtc stored in the ECM like a P0400? Or is t that the egr monitor is not set to a ready status and you can't pass a state emission tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No codes, it will not reset and thus cannot be smogged. I have driven it about 300 miles without a reset.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am not sure the pump will resolve the issue. The EGR can be tricky to set the monitor as there is a specific drive cycle.
The engine needs to be at normal operating temperature which is above 180 degrees F. Then it needs to be driven for a steady speed around 2500 rpm for 1-3 minutes then coast for 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my mechanic said that he followed the drive cycle as you stated, and still it didn't reset. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
A sticking supercharger bypass valve can cause this. This is the vacuum operated valve in the back. I have run into this before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Richard,
It took awhile for the mechanic to check and clean the supercharger by-pass valve. Unfortunately there is no change, still the computer will not reset.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Any fault codes stored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no fault codes showing. There has been a random occational misfire code but the check engine light didn't come on and it was a pending code. The crank sensor was replaced. The problem is still the egr is not resetting and the egr has been replaced and is working properly. No fault codes, but egr sensor doesnt reset.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I have your VIN as I want to see if I have any messages on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The VIN # is: SAJDA15B63 F53087
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I will run the VIN.