Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJS Convertible 6 cylinder: I have a Jaguar XJS 6 cylinder…

Customer Question
I have a Jaguar XJS...
I have a Jaguar XJS 6 cylinder 1996 that will not start, I can start it buy spraying Carb clearner in the air intake, but, will not start using the fuel, How to I troubleshoot the fuel system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/9/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The fuel pressure needs tested with a fuel pressure test gauge.On this model this is done with the fuel feed hose leading from the fuel pump to the engine disconnected at the engine fuel rail then a special adapter installed on the fuel feed hose then the fuel pressure test gauge attached to the adapter.The engine is then cranked over or key turned on and your fuel pressure from your fuel pump should be between 42 and 45 psi.If any lower then this,this indicates the fuel filter is restricted needing replaced or the fuel pump is weak needing replaced.
Most common is a weak fuel pump needing replaced as I have seen several times before in the past and had to replace myself.I always replace the fuel filter as well when the pump is replaced.
This does sound like the common fault of the fuel pump itself with you needing to give just a little extra fuel to start the engine,this is a sign of a weak fuel pump as the engine needs slightly more pressure to start then it does to run.
Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician