Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar xkr100 r the rare sir William Lyons ones: 2002 xkr100r…

Customer Question
2002 xkr100r one of 300...
2002 xkr100r one of 300 20k miles on it won't start turns over fine either no fire or no fuel.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/8/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
So the engine is cranking normally but not starting? We're you able to check fuel and ignition? Has the vehicle been sitting for an extended period of time?
Yes it has been setting. Have not checked fuel or ignition.
Ok the engine may be fuel washed or flooded. I see this after these vehicle sit or are driven in repeated short trips/started and turned right off.
Try holding your foot down and pumping the gas while cranking your engine with a jumper box installed or charger on the battery as this will wear down the battery quickly. Also do this 20 seconds at a time taking a minute break to cool down the stater. If not the engine still can be flooded and you should try that clear flood method I described or you can remove the spark plugs and squirt a few droplets of oil down each cylinder. Also be aware that if the engine does start it will smoke out of the tail pipes.
It can also be a problem is the fuel pump. There is a fuel rail test port on the left hand front of the rail in which a gauge can be installed. You will need a gage and a Ford adapter so you should be able to get this from you local parts store. An easier but less reliable test would be to spray some carb cleaner into the intake tube and have an assistant crank the engine and see if it will run on the spray. If it does then it is a fuel delivery problem. If it still will not run then we should also check for ignition by removing an ignition coil and plug. Leave the coil plugged in and slide th e plug into the coil boot. Ground the plug against the metal throttle and watch for a good spark while an assistant cranks the engine.
Can starting fluid be used on this supercharged motor. Do I just spray into the throttle body.
It done this once before, and started the next day. It does not appear to be flooded as there is no significant raw fuel smell.
Yes starting fluid will work. You can spray some in the throttle but I pop the plastic hose off the valve cover and spray into the intake through there as an assistant cranks the engine.
Is this a crank breather hose?
Have you ever heard the fuel pick up deteriorating from this terrible fuel we have nowadays. Ethanol
I have run into a lot more fuel pump issues lately. Yes the hose is a breather hose that goes to the intake air tube.
So have you seen the pumps fail or the pickups fail? What would be a normal charge to r&r fuel pump with parts?
Yes I have seen pumps fail. Figure the price will vary depending on the shops labor rate but the going rate is about $900-$1000.
Richard, Jaguar Technician