Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Jaguar xj12: I just replaced the battery in my 1994 jaguar

Customer Question

I just replaced the battery in my 1994 jaguar xj12 now it wont start or turn over
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there no power to the starter
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I noticed from your history that I helped you with a fuel problem on an XJ6 but you never replied back to me or rated my service on that question. Do you understand how the website works? If you don't rate my service I don't get paid for helping you. Was the information I provided on the XJ6 helpful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Great, I don't know if you can still rate my service on the previous question or not. I've provided a link to the question below. If you could please rate my service on the previous question I would appreciate it.
http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/7ul1p-jaguar-xj6-hi-1985-jaguar-xj6-fuel-comes.html#
On your XJS problem. Was the car starting prior to you replacing the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It wont let me rate the last one but yes it did prior to puttin in storage for the winter
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but you never tried jump starting it the other day before you replaced the battery, is that correct? I'm trying to determine whether something happened when the battery was replaced or whether we have a problem caused by it sitting for 6 months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did try to jump it before havin the battery tested
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, did the starter work when you jumped it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then chances are there is a problem with the starter itself. Have you tried moving the shifter into neutral and starting it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the shifter wont move out of park
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that complicates things a bit. You tried this with the key on and depressing the brake pedal, is that correct? Do the brake lights work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and the brake lights do work
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll need to check some wiring diagrams for the next step. I'll reply back to you later this morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Allright sounds good
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
This is a 4 door, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes 4 door xj12
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, can you test some fuses for power? I need to know if fuse C4 in the left side instrument panel fuse box has power with the key on. I also need to know if fuse 2 in the center console fuse box has power.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they both have power
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, one more fuse to check. I need to know if fuse 6 in the center console fuse box has power.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse 6 also has power
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, based on what you are telling me I'd have to say there is a fault with the gate switch on the right side of the shifter. Next step would be to disassemble the console and inspect the switch to see if it is faulty or has simply come loose from the shifter. The switch completes the circuit for the starter relay. If the system does not recognize that the shifter is in park it will not activate the starter and it will also not activate the shift lock release.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Allright how hard of a project is that to take apart
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
It's a bit involved but you can probably get it apart. I've attached instructions below.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/hc2l27cd9dc137b/Automatic_Transmission.pdf