sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jaguar Vanden Plas: I cannot get the shifter out of 2nd gear

Customer Question

I cannot get the shifter out of 2nd gear on the upper left position.
therefore I cannot start the car. Anything manualy I can do so
I don't have to have the car towed.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the shifter won't move it could be a few things. It could be the shifter itself, the shift cable, or it could be an issue in the transmission.
The first thing that will need to be done is remove the cable at the trans. The wheels should be chocked and/or the emergency brake set unless the car is on a hoist or jack stands.
With the linkage removed at the trans then you can see if the shifter moves freely and see if you can shift the trans by hand. If you can't shift it at the trans and the shifter moves ok with the linkage removed at the trans then the problem is in the trans.
IF you're still unable to move the shifter with the linkage off at the trans then the linkage would need to be removed at the shifter. If the shifter then moves ok then the problem is the cable.