Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Rihard,have a 2002 jaguar xtype 2.5 AT...just today

Hi Rihard, have a 2002...

Hi Rihard, have a 2002 jaguar xtype 2.5 AT...just today gearbox fault...cant put it in gear or park...which means no 8hstart...disconnected battery..heard of j gate reset...any ideas..can I hard crash this computer..seems so sporadic ...cant remove key from ignition

5/7/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Right now what gear is the shifter in? You cannot move it at all?

Stuck in park in my garage...cant remove key...like it doesn't know what gear it's in

Is the P lite up red on the shifter when you turn the ignition ON.

Sorry Richard...at work...left car in garage disconnected from battery overnight...if I recall...no lights on shift console at all when ignition turned to attempt start

Ok that could be the problem if it is stuck partially in gear. This could be caused by the shifter or cable. We need to go underneath the vehicle and locate the cable cover which is held on by three 8mm bolts. Remove the cover and check the cable to see if it is seized. We should be able to pop it off the ball stud and see if we can move the shifter. We can then try moving the lever on the transmission to see if that is binding. Let me know.

Hi Richard...home now....jag starts in garage...no gearbox fault. ..in park ....lighted. ...pull to reverse....that's it...no further...car will not move....key can not be removed...can I clear the whole cars memory?

Please advise

Regards

A Jag factory tool will be needed to do that. Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery will also reset the modules. I suspect the cable is binding.

Still get underneath or can I access from above...is shifter cable binding a common problem?

Not very common but I have run into this. It is accessed underneath by removing the cable cover.

Hi Richard...took day off to fix this thing...went underneath and checked cable...all good...took off shifter and noticed a 3 inch bake light plastic piece with a spring in center is broken...cant see where it goes once replaced...also a silver electrical box with a plunger is disconnected. ..I can now get all the gears

Possible to obtain semantic of shifter assy

please advise

These shifters are only replaced as a complete unit. Jag does not sell any parts for them.

Great. ..figured out where it came from...will attempt repair...but now car has all gears but reverse. ..coincidental from initial gearbox fault the other day probably...any ideas

regards

Ok keep me posted.

Richard..able to fix piece...what exactly is the small silver relay with the plunger for?....still can't remove keys

That is the interlock. Try manually moving that to see if you are able to turn the ignition.

What function is the interlock for....pushing it while car running doesn't do anything.....if I put back the broken piece on ....the interlock swings up and will put pressure on my repair area and probably bust it again

The interlock does both the brake and the park lock for the ignition.

Running or not ...in gear or not..that interlock lever doesn't acuate...that's what broke that othe piece..this has to be an electrical issue.....keys still stuck too

Please advise

Yes most likely internal in the shifter as that part is electronic. If the P is illuminated red and the sport mode switch turns on and off looks like we will need to replace the shifter.

Lights on shifter on one minute...next start off...no reverse. ..abs light now on and park brake too....could this be the TCM causing all this stuff?

Yes this very well could be which is why I asked if it was illuminated and if the sport mode switch would turn on and off. The TCM is located behind the left hand side dash. Look behind the fuse box and you will see a small gray box. This is the auto wiper module. Remove the 10mm nut and that module/bracket will come out. Then remove the two 10mm nuts off the TCM then pull it out and disconnect it. Look at the harness connector and module for signs of water or corrosion.

If so...replace or repair? ...problem seems more sporadic electrical than mechanical. ...I'll pull TCM ...maybe wait on a new shifter

Usually it should be replaced. I have not had much success sending these modules out for repair. Also if a new or used module is installed it must be programmed by Jag.

Hi Richard....pulled TCM. ...cleaned and waterproofed...no difference. ...keys still can't come out. ..interlock switch don't seem to work....drove to work...no gearbox fault codes

advise

Ok I suspect we will most likely need to replace that shifter.

Hi Richard...frustrated over this thing...

: interlock acuates when I apply direct 12 volt...no power at connections with test light

: car will start and run and utilize gears...but will not allow me to remove keys.

:P illuminated....S goes on and off....illumination on shifter seems correct

: 2 switches on brake pedal at bottom....brake lights/ tailights/signals/fuses all fine

...what have I missed

Regards

WHen in park the shifter will energize the key lock solenoid on pin 16 blue wire on the shifter.

Only blue wire I see runs into top shifter housing close to Sport button....where is key lock solenoid and which fuse powers it

Regards

Should be pin 16 on the green shifter connector. The key solenoid is in the ignition powered by battery power. The shifter grounds that solenoid when in park.

Green shifter connector under car?...if car is in park now...why does it not recognize that....what gives power to the blue wire in connector...fuse? Again no power 2 the 2 orange wires connecting to interlock switch

regards

Green connector on the shifter. The harness coming off the shifter will go to this green connector. The power comes through the ignition for that interlock.

Missing something...car now has all gears...except reverse...no gear box fault codes...and when car parked. ..cannot remove keys

I think we may have more than one problem. Usually just no reverse is a mechanical problem inside the transmission but the fact that we also have the key stuck sounds more like a shifter or linkage issue.

Richard, is it possible to bypass keylock solenoid to remove keys?

Regards

Locate pin 16 blue wire on the green shifter connector. Disconnect the connector and see if the key will release. If not then on the harness side not shifter side take and jumper and jump pin 16 blue wire to ground.

Hi Richard....unplugged harness. ..can now remove key...grounded lower blue harness wire...plugged back in....not able to remove key again...when I ground harness off and on ...hear clicking at key

any good news?

Ok if we can remove the key with it disconnected the problem is in the shifter.

Like u figured....ordered new shifter from store....if I temporarily cut blue wire on lower harness....or upper ...til shifter comes...will that effect anything else....12 volt constant power at lower plug

Regards

It should not. I would do it at the shifter side and tape the wire.

Sorry Richard....lower harness connector. ..blue wire ...upper shifter connection at same pin has 2 wires...yellow...and blk/yellow to shifter....cut which one for temp fix

Regards

I would just go right to the wire on that large green connector.
Richard, Jaguar Technician