peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2000 jaguar xk8 gearshift interlock inop

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brake lights work fine, but aware it is a duel function switch. I have removed the switch and want to test it before I replace it. 12v coming in from the processor module on one wire and going out to the brake lights on the far side of the 4 pin connector. Center two pins do nothing. Is the single wire 12v input correct, or shoud I be getting power from another wire?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Most common to cause this issue here is the gar shift interlock solenoid itself.This solenoid fails internally requiring replacement when it does fail.You should have at or near battery voltage on the orange wire at this solenoid when the vehicle is running and brake is pressed and a ground on the black wire.If you do have these signals this solenoid needs replaced to correct this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pete,
Solenoid seems good. Took it out and it bench tests fine. Pulls in when voltage is applied. Only getting 9.2-9.4V from the orange wire and ground is good. Not enough voltage to pull in the plubger. Voltage does not change when pedal is pressed. Thinking it may be the break light switch. Brake lights work fine. From the 4 pin plug by the brake pedal, 12v coming in from one side, and going out on the far other side when pedal is pushed. No voltage coming in or going out from the center two pins when pedal pushed or not. Control mod?