Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type R: Richard. So my 2005 Jaguar S type 4.2 suddenly…

Customer Question
Hi Richard. So my 2005...
Hi Richard. So my 2005 Jaguar S type 4.2 suddenly died on me while I was driving. When I try to start it, it turns over but dies immediately. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and still have the same issue. The engine does stay on a few seconds longer but still dies by itself. Am I on the right path to think it might be a bad fuel pump driver module?
How do I replace it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
5/2/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com did you check fuel pressure to find none? Did you try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake to see if the engine will start and run on the spray?
Hi Richard, sorry about the delay, before trying the carb cleaner, I unplugged the battery and fuel pump/fuel pump relay fuses and diode overnight to electronically reset everything. The next morning it started up!! But after driving around, a restricted performance message came on. The car drives fine, but engine sputters when I accelerate to fast.I tried pep boys to get the codes but they said they don't work on performance codes and the other mechanics shops were closed. I have an*****home ahead, would I be able to do it and worry about the codes back home?
We may may have a bad coil or possibly another engine sensor. It really all depends on the problem but it s really not recommended to drive with the restricted performance warning on. Maybe we can get the faults read before you dive just to make sure.
OK, I will check the codes tomorrow morning and get back to you. Thanks.
Ok thanks.