Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJR: Richard. taking out my 04 XJR out of winter

Customer Question
Hello Richard. taking out my...
Hello Richard. taking out my 04 XJR out of winter storage; dead battery it first showed "Park brake fault", but worked fine after a few miles. on the second outing (after yet another boost) I had a "gearbox fault", car "jerks" when engaging R or D, stays on the same gear. also the car doesnt "beep" when trying to move from park to R without depressing the brake pedal. In your opinion, do I need a costly new transmission, read somewhere that flashing the TCM might do the job. any thoughts? tx.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/13/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Yes I would try having the TCM adaptation cleared and it re flashed to see if the shifting improves. We should also have the fluid level and condition checked but I don't think that will be an issue just from sitting. The re flash resolves majority of shifting problems. Let me know.
Thanks. I will look for a garage that's able to re-flash the TCM and will check the fluids also (even though there's no oil patches underneath where the car was kept over the winter). will come back with my findings. thanks.
Ok sounds good. Let me know.
Hi Richard.
so here's the update: I felt that the electronic doesnt like when I try to start the car on an close to empty battery. This time i did a "hard reset" (disconnect neg lead, short it on the pos for approx 10 sec) and it did the trick. Car shifts fine. In the event i'd like to check the transmission fluid, how does one do that? Did not see any dip stick and it appears the ZF 6HP26 is a sealed for life unit. any thoughts? thanks.
Yes there is no dipstick on these. A fill / level plug needs to be removed with the trans fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. If fluid flows out it is full.