Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XK8: I have a 2003 with 24,000 miles. when moving very…

I have a 2003 with...
I have a 2003 with 24,000 miles. when moving very slowly there is a noticible slack in the drive train as I step on the gas. There is a kick after the engine speeds up to take up the slack and the car then moves normally. There are no error messages displayed on the dash. Any idea what's wrong ?
4/8/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Do you feel any issues when slowing down almost to a complete stop? Can I have the last six of your VIN

It slows down normally but then while going a few miles per hour and trying to accelerate, it's like being in neutral for about one second, the engine speeds up slightly and then a jolt like it's going into gear. The last 6 are A30733

Ok we may have more than one problem. A loose transmission output flange can cause this. When I mean loose you will not feel this in the flange but it is loose on the splines. If you were to remove the nut and the flange slides off easily it was the problem. We would recommend replacing the flange. We also should have the transmission fluid level checked to make sure it is full and clean. I would also recommend the transmission adaptations be cleared and the TCM reprogrammed but a Jag dealer will have to do that for you.
We should also check for any excessive movement in the driveshaft and rear axles as well.
Richard, Jaguar Technician