Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X-Type: I have a 2008 xtype 2.2 diesel automatic. when…

I have a 2008 xtype...
I have a 2008 xtype 2.2 diesel automatic. when I drive her hard, quite often the power suddenly goes and I find myself in an almost limp home situation, the preheat glow light flashes and it says in the display "transmission fault". More recently I've pulled in to a layby, switched off, restarted, everything fine. This has happened several times. A few months ago my Jag dealer analyzsed the problem, reset whatever, test drive and returned fixed. But it's done it again. I disconnected the battery hoping this would clear the system, but the problem is still there. But only when I drive her hard. Normal driving is ok. Is it ok to continue to pull in, stop and restart and just do this when it happens, or is there a serious problem developing I should try and get fixed? Many thanks, David
2/28/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Matt, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. In the meantime I’ve found on the internet a Just Answer from a Jag specialist a few years ago for someone who had the same problem. He recommended the same checks as you, but in a different order, first the check the EGR unit, then the fuel system, injectors etc.

I think I might follow that route as when my car last went into the Jag dealer to “fix” the problem, they replaced the fuel filter, so I’m thinking the flow of diesel to the engine is good. Also when the problem occurs and I pull over, switch the engine off, then on and drive again, I sense full power is available. I’ve raced the car several times, kick down, full acceleration, all there. Also after selecting the automatic to manual/sports mode, taken her through all the gears to max engine speed, performed like a rocket, full power available.

What puzzles me is that when the fault occurs and the glow plug light flashes, the display shows TRANSMISSION / GEARBOX FAULT (translation) and not ENGINE FAULT – all the checks you and your colleague recommend are for ENGINE issues, not TRANSMISSION !

Is this a peculiarity of the Jag display system, it shows Transmission Fault regardless of it being Engine or Transmission ? Or is the display Transmission Fault correct afterall and there is a logic/link that the possible engine issues you suggest convert into a Transmission Fault ? If you can clarify for me, that would be great.

As a matter of interest I recently met an acquaintance from ZF who drives a Mercedes Automatic (ZF box) with the identical problem. Like me, he stops, restarts and the problem goes away, until it reoccurs another day. He said some automatics do this when they’re driven hard, for an hour or two on the autobahn (like my experience) and thought it might be a form of overheating but was only a guess and even his colleagues haven’t found an explanation/solution. He’s had the problem for years and survived so far. But he has a company car, mine is mine! I know ZF automatic boxes have been/are fitted in Jags, the XJ and XF but I don’t think in the X Type, even in the last ones built of which mine is one. Do you know by chance? When I quizzed him on that, he said all automatics work on the same principles, so the problem could occur on non-ZF boxes too.

If you have any ideas on the “transmission fault”, what it could be, please let me know, or shall I carry on down the track of checking the EGR first and take things from there?

I don’t mind waiting a bit if you need to ask someone else.

Many thanks, David

Hello David

these days transmission control and engine control are tied together pretty closely so a engine fault thats gives drive ability issues ( like a sticking EGR) can result in a transmission fault

and you're correct its not a ZF transmission in these

that said its worth to take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire
Matt, Engineer

Hi Matt, many thanks for your email, one last observation from me if I may, and your comments please, based on your experience.

I’ve been busy on the problem the last couple of days. One comment in a Jag Forum was that an older or low battery can cause the system to send out warning messages that aren’t really a problem. My Jag dealer last year mentioned this too but at the time they measured/checked it and found it was OK. However this winter I’ve had a few dodgy cold starts, the battery obviously struggling, so I thought I’d replace it after 7 years. Info: my car is build end 2008 and has done just 35000 miles. As you can see I only drive approx 5000 miles pa, mostly around town and a couple of longer holiday trips. So yesterday I bought and fitted a new battery and filled up with a top grade diesel (they have 2 here, cheap and not so cheap) after putting in a bottle of diesel cleaning- injectors- additive.

So equipped with new battery and fresh fuel I went on a trip. I haven’t had a chance yet to get someone to look at the automatic’s oil level for me, but I’m thinking with only 35000 miles it should be ok, albeit 7 years old, so I’ll definitely follow that through and change the oil if any doubt. I’ve since found out it’s an AISIN automatic, not ZF, made in Japan by Toyota, seems to have a good reputation.

On my trip, initially all fine. Accelerated well, after about 20 mins I thought I could tell the engine was more responsive (the additive working?). Everything going well for about 30 mins, accelerating, slowing down, accelerating fast on the autobahn and then it happened, twice! First time after cruising steady at about 90 mph for about 10 mins, suddenly the light came on with the display warning. But this time, not a dramatic loss in power. There was a little “hit” when it happened but I was able to continue driving at a good speed 70 mph for 5 mins or so, the engine speed constant too, before I pulled in at a parking bay to stop and restart. After that, continued, accelerating at full power, not a problem and cruised again, this time at 100mph for about 5 mins, then had to take my foot off the throttle to slow down and with that “instant driving change”, the light came on again with the display. Again I was able to continue at a speed of 60 mph, no dramatic loss in power, engine speed held steady for another 5 mins until I pulled in again to restart. After that I left the autobahn and drove home, everything fine, the car performing perfectly through town etc.

So I wondered, does this explanation give you a lead as to what it could be? Renewing the battery hasn’t fixed THIS problem, but not a bad thing to have done, and the fuel additive has helped the engine perform better I think. Can one narrow it down to the EGR/valve or something else engine wise or is an automatic oil change the next step? Your racing experience might give us a lead as to what the cause of the problem is. I’ve probably exhausted you on this, so this will be my last question! Many thanks and kind regards, David

Hello David

I 'd still try an oil change as the next step as 35K is good point to swop it out,

if that doesn't help then EGR valve would be my next point