Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar x-type wagon: I have a 2006 Jaguar x-type that has been…

I have a 2006 Jaguar...
I have a 2006 Jaguar x-type that has been giving me transmission and DTS faults and goes into limp mode. The battery was weak and it went into transmission engine fault and will not start. Still claims transmission fault. Here are the things that I have tried
New battery
Took out TCM - no water damage
Took out ECM - water damage on 2 lower pins. I sprayed with electrical cleaner and added electrical grease.
Still same issue. Could it be
Dirty TPS
ECM needs to be reflashed?
12/7/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
So right now the engine will not start and not crank at all? It is saying gearbox fault on the message center? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake?

Correct, the engine will not start or crank at all. The engine fans will turn on and the message center will say transmission fault. No, I cannot release the shifter from park with the ignition on and with my foot on the brake. That was going to be a follow up question. How do I get it in neutral when it is in this state?

First make sure the inertia switch did not trip. It is located behind the passenger side kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to reset it. We then need to check for battery voltage on both sides of all the fuses in the engine compartment and under the driver side dash. By checking for voltage with the key on this also will check the switched system and ECM power relays. It could even be an issue with the J gate shifter. In order to release it into neutral there is a release on the side of the shifter. Pop off the woodgrain surround and on the driver side of the shifter on the side is a T lever that needs to be rotated and you will be able to shift out of park. If you cannot get to it that way remove the one Phillips screw from the console side cover and remove the cover.

The inertia switch was tripped (did not know that existed). There was a fuse that was burned out in the engine compartment (3rd left on top row going from right to left in pic). It takes a 10 but i replaced with a spare 15 until I can buy one.

I still cannot figure out how to get the car out of park if needed. Attached are pics of both driver and passenger side.

Thanks much!

2014-12-08_210906_120814...jpg2014-12...jpg2014-12-08_211025_120814...jpg2014-12...jpg2014-12-08_211056_120814...jpg2014-12...jpg2014-12-08_211100_120814...jpg2014-12...jpg2014-12-08_211200_120814...jpg2014-12...jpg
Click on the link for a picture of the interlock over ride. This picture is for a XJ but yours is the same. If you were to remove the side trim you will see this better.

Shifter
Richard, Jaguar Technician