Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type: I have a 01 Jaguar S-TYPE V6 My daughter backed…

Customer Question
I have a 01 Jaguar...
I have a 01 Jaguar S-TYPE V6 My daughter backed into a pole and now i have a grinding metal flapping noise at the base of the gear stick when in drive only and it stops when the car stops. i can feel the vibration in the gear stick like something is flapping against it the
faster i drive the louder it gets WHAT COULD IT BE AND HOW DO I TAKE APART THE GEAR SHIFT CONSOLE TO LOOK DOWN IN IT
Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/7/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Sounds like something may be hitting the driveshaft like a heat shield or shifter cable. We need to go under the center of the vehicle to check this. Let me know.

OK i have all four tires up and in drive nothing is touching the driveshaft but i do hear the noise coming from where the driveshaft just goes into the transmission the noise is right there somewhere between the rubber bushing connecting the driveshaft to the transmission shaft and when i shut the car off and move the driveshaft in that place where it first meets the transmission i hear a clacking noise it is not quite at all is there a berring where the shaft enters the transmission? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Yes but that bearing is internal in the transmission. Look closely to make sure nothing is hitting.

OK i will look closely again the shaft has a long heat shield and it looks un damaged and in shape as far as i can see there is nothing touching on either end where i can see the shaft moving. are you sure that there is nothing down where the gear stick goes into the transmission that could be making that noise, as i said the car shift in gears while driving smoothly and speeds up just fine just that noise.

so i am going back out to take another look at all the points on the driveshaft that i can see to make sure nothing is touching i will let you know when i get done

The shifter cable going from the shifter to the transmission can also be hitting the driveshaft.

ok so i looked again and the sifter cable is in place and well away from the drive-shaft, when i put the car in reverse now i can hear a loud clacking noise coming from the very tip of the transmission where the shaft goes into it at when i put my hand on that end i can feel the clacking and as well but i am sure that nothing is touching the drive shaft while it is turning from the point of exist from the transmission all the way back to the rear axle.

Ok could be a broken drive shaft internally.

how do i check for a broken shaft internally and can you send me the steps to remove the shaft i know this car's engine very well since i have replaced it two times but i never worked on the shaft i mainly thought of the drive shaft as a whole solid piece of metal all the way to the rear and with no moving internal parts am i wrong?

The shaft is a two piece welded tube.

Driveshaft - Driveshaft

Removal and Installation

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer toSection 100-02 Jacking and Lifting
  1. Remove the intermediate muffler. For additional information, refer toSection 309-00 Exhaust System

J0000964

1. Remove the center heat shield.

J0000337

1. cautionCAUTION: Under no circumstances must the flexible coupling (or its fixings) be loosened or removed from the driveshaft

Detach the driveshaft from the transmission flange.
    • Mark the position of the driveshaft in relation to the transmission flange.
    • Mark the position of each nut and bolt in relation to the transmission flexible joint.

J0001903

1. noteNOTE: Support the front section of the driveshaft.

Shorten the length of the driveshaft.
    • Loosen the driveshaft lock-nut and move the driveshaft front section towards the center bearing.

J0000335

Detach the driveshaft from the differential flange.
    • Mark the position of the driveshaft in relation to the differential flange.
    • Mark the position of the balance nut in relation to the differential flange (if fitted).

J0000339

1. cautionCAUTION: Support the driveshaft front and rear sections.

noteNOTE: Note the position of the driveshaft center bearing shims.

Remove the driveshaft.

Installation

J0000340

1. NOTES:

noteIf a new driveshaft is installed, correct the driveline angle as required. For additional information, refer to Section 205-00 Driveline System - General Information

noteIf a new driveshaft is installed, refer to PDU to establish the correct location for the balance nut if required.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Carry out a road test to confirm driveshaft balance.

J0000336

J0000338

J0001904

ok thanks lets say the shaft is broken internally what about this two piece welded tube could be making such a grinding clacking noise when in gear and could that vibration from the noise source cause what i feel on the gear stick in the car and at the tip of the tranny where the shaft enters...?

Yes it could.