Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X-Type: Hi - I have a Jaguar X, 3.0 "executive" from…

Hi - I have a...
Hi - I have a Jaguar X, 3.0 "executive" from 2002. Lately the breaking has been a bit "funny". Holding the pedal stable when breaking it loses a bit of the pressure so that the breaking decreases ( feels like the car is increasing speed, but of course it's only keeping the speed instead of reducing it). Simultaniously the loss of breaking power makes the ABS start (one out of ten times). My jag dealer changed the ABS unit (at a horrendous cost) but it didn't help. Any ideas woul be appreaciated. Kind regards ***** ***** Norway
11/15/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Is the ABS warning on? Do you feel this at slow speeds? Does it feel like the ABS is engaging when it should not be?
No warning light on. I do notice it at slow speeds, but more at higher, when breaking period is longer. The ABS on one wheel (front right) will (sometimes) engage late in a breaking period - even under dry conditions. The garage swopped the ABS unit ($1.200!) but it did not help at all. The garage said my break pads, front right, were worn - none of the others.Last thing: When I break, there is a very slight feeling in the pedal, as if a tiny bubble burst. Never experienced this feeling on any of my cars before. Kind regards
Since only the right front pads were worn we may have an issue with the caliper or rubber hose being collapse. We also need to check the ABS rings on the rear axles as sometimes the rings crack or rust off. We would need to remove the rear sensors to check this. Let me know.
Been to the Jag garage twice. Changed ABS sensor on right front - changed a tube. To no avail. The problem persist. David Marks (Q&A guy in Jaguar Enthusiast mag) asked me to change the sensor - bu it didm´t work. Any more ideas? Am I the only one with this problem in the world?
Were the rear sensor rings on the axles checked?
No - I know for sure they were not. Could that be the answer?
Yes it very well could be. We need to remove the rear speed sensors and look to see if these rings are damaged. Lt could also be a problem with the module itself.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
I am very happy with Richards suggestion, but give him five out of six stars because I yet don‘t know wether his right. The car goes back to the Jaguar garage in six days. After that I‘ll know if his advice made them find the problem.
Ok. Keep me posted.
Yes- you were right Richard. Got the car back yesterday- the third visit to the garage with this problem. It was the sensor ring on the right rear axle. Now perfect. And money saved too. Thanks!
Glad we got it.