Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X type: Hi richard I have just purchased a 2002 x type.

Customer Question
Hi richard I have just...
Hi richard I have just purchased a 2002 x type. The automatic box will select p r n It reverses well but responds as if in neutral when any forward positions are selected on the j shift selection panel there are many possibilities I guess but could you possibly narrow it down in your experience. Many thanks tony
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
10/6/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Any abnormal noises when selecting drive? Is the gearbox fault warning on?
There are no abnormal noises or any untoward sounds The only codes that are known are P1603. P1582.
P00733 and p0734. It has a brand new battery and I have checked all the fuses
Ok looks like we may have an internal mechanical issue or problem with the TCM. First lets look to see if the shifter is illuminating all the forward gears. If so clear the fault codes to see which ones return. We also need to check the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick the level check plug will need to be removed with the vehicle on a level surface or lift and the fluid warmed up to temp. Let me know.
Will do how would I clear the fault codes without a computer
Yes the scan tool used to retrieve the code should be able to clear them.
I have no code reader the codes we're read before I purchased the car can I clear them another way. If I replaced the gear box and tcm do I need to have the car recoded to accept the new parts or will it just work
Unfortunately that is the only way to clear them. If a new or used module is installed it must be programmed.
Ok if it is a mechanical issue what is it likely to be. Would it be better to have the same box rebuilt or install a second unit I understand a second unit would come with unknown risks
Could it be the sender unit on top of the box just needs replacing would a new code reading and reprogrammed be needed for a new one of those
It would most likely be less costly to install a second hand unit. As far as the range sensor at the top I don't think that is the issue. If you were to replace that there is no programming involved.
So yesterday I poked around the passenger fuse box and checked the lights on the shift selector the gearbox moved a bit when I put it in drive and moved forward after I put it in park it wouldn't do it again. Would that indicate an electrical fault also. Rather than mechanical. The engine check light has gone out also
It could very well be a problem with the TCM. The TCM is located behind the left hand side dash. Look behind the fuse box and you will see a small gray box. This is the auto wiper module. Remove the 10mm nut and that module/bracket will come out. Then remove the two 10mm nuts off the TCM then pull it out and disconnect it. Look at the harness connector and module for signs of water.
I've had the tcm apart and no luck with any sign of moisture I will have it tested.
Ok