Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

hi, I have a 2005 s Type Jag and you had helped me previously.

Customer Question
My gear box light comes...
hi, I have a 2005 s Type Jag and you had helped me previously. My gear box light comes on while on the freeway and the car seems to drag like it is in a higher gear. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/20/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
When the Gearbox fault warning message comes on the transmission control module has detected a fault and may limit the vehicle to a fixed fourth gear and will store a fault code. I see issues with the software reprogramming for this gearbox fault warning. We would need to see what the fault codes are. A Jag service tool will be needed to read the codes in the transmission control module but if the yellow engine light came on there should also be codes in the ECM. Before going to the dealer or Jag shop try your local parts store as they should have an OBD II scan tool you can use. They will only be able to communicate with the engine control module but sometimes the code is stored in both the ECM and TCM. I will need the code number to be sure of the problem. It also can be caused by low fluid level but since there is no dipstick a dealer or shop will need to check the fluid level. As long as you do not feel any performance or shifting issues you can drive the vehicle but we should get those fault codes read just in case. If the transmission is shifting normally I would recommend having the dealer check the fluid level and fill it before repairing the leak. Then reprogram the TCM. Let me know.

I will try and get the codes. The car also had occasional problems getting into reverse....not all the time but sometimes it was slow to engage.

Could be related. Let me know on the faults.

Hi Richard, the code that came up was P0829.

Also, the car has not done it again and I have been driving it for a while and could not replicate the gear default light.

Ok this very well could be an internal mechanical issue inside the transmission but before doing anything the TCM software should be reprogrammed and the vehicle checked to make sure there are no fluid leaks. A dealer will need to reprogram the TCM and this fixes most of the vehicles that have this code. Since the problem is so intermittent I really do not think it is an internal problem.

is there a service bulletin on that code? I was taol service bulletin JTB00072 was relevant?

Yes that is the bulletin

Thanks...if it a service bulletin will the dealer complete the work under a warranty? As my warranty is long gone!!

. If this were a recall then yes it would be under warranty. Unfortunately it is just a technical bulletin which carries no warranty extension on it. The dealer should charge around a one hour labor charge to reflash/program the TCM.