Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJR: Now the days are hot and temps up, My 1996 XJR…

Now the days are hot...
Now the days are hot and temps up, My 1996 XJR keeps cutting out randomly when driving along. Some time 2 or 3 time in quick succession and some time after 20 - 30 mins. Once air temp drops in evening all is ok. any Idears?
7/18/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
When the engine stalls does it start right back up? Have any warning lights come on

Mainly just the battery warning light once the engine cuts out and then the gearbox warning light as I coast to a halt. Some time the gearbox light at the same time as cut out.

Don't think a gearbox fault would cause the engine to randomly cut-out.

Once parked in neutral or park engine will restart fairly easy most of the time but once or twice it needs to rest for 5 mins as it seams flooded.

Ok I have seen a few different things cause thus type of problems. First it can be a fuel delivery problem like a failing fuel pump. U also see issues with the ignition coils spiking the ECU. You may notice an engine missfire just before the engine stalls. Also crank sensors are common for going bad. All can be temperature related. Let me know.

Well Richard, thank you for your help so far.

Looks like I will have to wait until my code scanner arrives to be able to see if it can point to the source of the problem.

In the mean time I will check/clean all the electrical connectors in case that may be the issue.

Many thanks,Laughing

Ok. Keep me posted.

Hi Richard,

My code scanner arrived in the post yesterday, but I could not get it to work.

Today I thought I would try it on a couple of other vehicles before I sent it back and it decided to work. so I managed to connect to the XJR and I have 1 fault code and 1 pending.

Fault code is P1621

Pending code: P0726

Can you let me know what they indicate.

P1621 is a fault for the ECU which could be the cause of the problem. The code P0726 is an engine speed code. We see this code when the engine stalls but it can also be an indication of a bad crank sensor.
Richard, Jaguar Technician