Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X type: I have a 04 jaguar X type 3.0 vs and came in…

Customer Question
I have a 04 jaguar...

I have a 04 jaguar X type 3.0 vs and came in the shop because it has a gearbox fault message and looks like it's stick in 4th gear reverse is fine but when I put in drive it's hard for it to take off. We replaced the transmission and same issue

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
5/2/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Do you have any scan tool that can read codes? Does the shifter illuminate all gear positions.

P1643 the car starts but shifting is the issue nothing lights up on the shifter

Yes i have code p1643

Still waiting for reply

I got charged the 34 dollars and still no answer from you I will want my money back thanks

Sorry for the delay

we need to check for water leaking into the TCM. The TCM is located behind the driver side dash. Look behind the fuse box and you will see a small gray box. This is the auto wiper module. Remove the 10mm nut and that module/bracket will come out. Then remove the two 10mm nuts off the TCM then pull it out and disconnect it. Look at the harness connector and module for signs of water.

Yes I checked that and did find corrosion corrosion on tcm and connector but want to know if it's bad before we replace it

Yes in most cases once you see the corrosion there the module is usually bad. You can open up the module and look to see if there is corrosion on the circuit board. The connector pins can usually be cleaned with some contact cleaner spray.

Circuit board is clean we need to test this how do we do that car turns on goes in reverse good but when I put it in drive it's really heavy to take off

This is mist likely that TCM. Unfortunately without a Jag factory tool we cannot be 100% sure. We can make sure there is power and ground to the TCM.

Ok what about that code p1643 and how can we test

That us just a CAN communications fault. The CAN is the twisted pair network in which all the chassis and powertrain modules communicate on. The code is vague but since there are no other codes logged it is usually a bad TCM. Unfortunately any replacement module you install will need to be programmed at the dealer.