Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar Super V8: Hi I have a 1999 jaguar xjr with a gearbox…

Hi I have a 1999...
Hi
I have a 1999 jaguar xjr with a gearbox problem.
When cold I set the shifter to "D" and nothing happens. I need to move the shift lever to "4" and back to "D" in order to get the car moving.
I just changed the gearbox oil and filter. It didn't eliminate the problem.
Once the car has been running a short distance, the problem is no longer present. The gearbox otherwise works normally.
I imagine the problem has to do with one of the solenoids/the wiring or the TCM.
Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards

Kaare
2/18/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When this occurs is the D on the shifter illuminated? Is the gearbox fault warning on?

Hi Richard

Yes, the D becomes illuminated, and there is no gearbox failure at this point.

I sometimes get gearbox failure, but normally this can be elliminated by turning the ignition off and on again.

Yesterday I had problems with engine power. No warning lights, but very slow acceleration. I tried the ignition off and on several times without any help. I didn't go away before I took off the battery shortly. But still no warnings on the instrument panel.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Kaare

Ok I suspect we have more than one problem. Lets start with the transmission. I actually think we may have a linkage problem like the shifter cable itself or possibly it is out of adjustment. There is also a linear switch on the side of the shifter which may also be the problem. I would start there first.

For the engine problem it could be an engine management sensor like the mass air flow as they can fail and not cause any warning lights. Another possibility would be a dirty fuel filter or weak fuel pumps as there are actually two in tank file pumps on your vehicle.

Let me know.

Hello Richard

Transmission

Both the cable and adjustment is ok. I checked it myself, and had it checked at an authorized jaguar shop. If it was the cable or the adjustment, wouldn't going to "4" and back to "D" in order to engage the gearbox in drivemode, rule out the cable and adjustment, as the cable/shift is not moving during this operation?

You talk about a linear switch on the side of the shifter. I suppose you are talking about the gear selector shift inside the car, and not one sitting adjacent to the shifter "arm" on the gearbox itself, as mine is not fitted with this solution.

If we are talking about the "in car" shifter - how can I test this?

Engine

The mass air flow is situated just after the airfilter - right? How can I test this?

To eliminate the fuel filter, I will replace it.

I suppose I can hook into the fuelline at the front left side of the engine and measure the pressure from the pumps. What is the lower limit I

should read?

Best regards

On the supercharged vehicles there should be a linear switch on the side of the shifter. This is the part that moves with the cable. It is secured to the side of the shifter with four Phillips screws. It is hard to check without a Jag factory tool the switch can also be adjusted by just loosening but not removing the four screws and moving the switch slightly.

Yes that is the mass air flow sensor on the air intake tube. They have contact cleaner sprays you can try but in most cases when the sensors fail they will need to be replaced. The fuel pressure you should see us around 40 psi but will go higher at higher speeds and loads since there are actually two fuel pumps in the tank.

Hi Richard

I need to test the possibilities that you gave me. As soon as I have solved the problem, I will rate your suggestions. Isn't that how this system works, or have I got it wrong.

About the linear switch - is there no way I can test this myself? I imagine it being some kind of a potentiometer, where the resistance is interpreted by the TCM as position. Is this correct? Or should I look at it another way, and thereby also test it otherwise?

Best regards

Kaare

You are correct in how the site works. I will post a test you can try on the linear switch.

Super

Thanks

Best regards

Kaare

No problem. I will send it over when I get back into the shop.

Great!

Here is a test we can do with a voltmeter. At the linear switch with the ignition on we should see battery voltage on pin 3 white/slate and ground on pin 2 black wire. Then go to pin 7 light green/black and we should have battery voltage in park, neutral, and 2 and ground in all other gears. On pin 6 we should have battery voltage in park, reverse and 3 and ground in all other gears. On pin 8 we should have battery voltage in park and pin 1 should have ground in park.

Hello Richard

Thanks for the answer

I think I miss some info on how to distinguish between 4 and D.

I can identify all positions but 4 and D by the shifter on the gearbox in combination with the pin readings.

The closest I can get is pin 6 and 7 at ground - this combination leaves me with both options 4 and D - which both has the same position of the shifter on the gearbox. Shouldn’t there separation of the two be found on pin 4 or 5? Or how do you find out when you are in D and when you are in 4?

Best regards

Kaare

There is a D 4 micro switch inside the shifter which signals the module when you are in D and 4.

When all the other gears but D works, could you please advice me on how to test the microswitch? In order to establish whether is is the microswitch that is defect I need this information.
Where is this microswitch located? Is it replaceable? Or do I need ti replace the whole J- gate?

Regards

Kaare
So you can accelerate and the vehicle will move forward in D4, 3, and 2 but not drive? Is the D illuminated and try seeing if you turn off the vehicle if it will start in drive?

When cold the car acts normally in all other gears than D. If I go directly from P to D, it won't accelerate, and it won't move.

As soon as have have the shifter to 4 it enganges (and can be accelerated). The engagement stays on when I then go from 4 to D. So when I need to drive in D and the system has been standing for a while, I need to move the shifter towards 4 and back to D. When this has been done, the car accellerate and starts moving in D.

And yes, the D is illuminated each time, the shifter is in D.

Once the car has been driving a short while, the problem's gone

If you leave the shifter in drive and turn off the vehicle will it restart in drive? Do this when the problem is happening.
Hi Richard
I just had the engine on - took it directly to D and was neighter able to rev up the engine nor would the car drive.
Still in D I turned the engine off. The buzzer came on, and I could not remove the key. I then turned the key as to start the engine, but nothing happened.
When you say you cannot rev the engine do you mean you press the gas and the engine rpm does not move?
Exactly - no response from the press onnthe pedal
Ok it sounds like an electrical fault in the TCM. It will be difficult to be sure of this diagnosis since there really are no tests we can perform without a Jag factory tool. We tested the linear switch with a meter and based on the test results it does sound like the switch is working. I still do not want to rule out a mechanical problem with the linkage from the shifter to the transmission.
Hi Richard

What do you mean by "we tested the linear switch..."?
I asked you how I could test whether the D signal was working, but the closest yuo came to an answer was one that would mean eighter D or 4 was ok.
How can I test that D works on the linear switch or the micro switch is working properly? If we can't make sure that the correct signal is coming to the TCM, then we haven't come any closer to solving the problem - or am I wrong?

Ok lets do the test again.

On pin 1 of the linear switch we should have battery voltage when in 4 and ground in drive.

On pin 6 ground in D and 4.

On pin 7 ground in D and 4.

On pin 8 ground in 4 and around 8 volts in D.

Super Richard
Now I can see how you see the difference between D and 4.
I will test this tomorrow and get back to you with the results

Best regards
OK perfect.

Hi Richard

I'm not sure about the numbering of the pins as I can't see any numbering of pins, so I have to go by the colours. I take them looking at the connector from the cordside (where the cords go into the connector) towards the linear switch. Where I have put a "?" after the pin no, I don't have any information, and is guessing.

From buttom left and up:

Pin 1? light green/brown

Pin 2 Black

Pin 3? White/blue Could this be what you call "white/slate"?

and at the top left:

Pin 4? Red/blue

Pin 5? Red/grey being the very to left

From the buttom right to the top:

Pin 6? Light green/blue

Pin 7 Light green/black

Pin 8? Light green/purple

Are the above colours correct matched with the pin-numbers?

According to the colours, I have found:

With shifter in "D":

Pin 8? - Light green/purple: +8,7V

Pin 7 - Light green/black: +0,77V

Pin 6? - Light green/blue: 34 Ohms - no voltage, but a resistance between the pin and ground on the car

Pin 1? - Light green/brown: 510 Ohms - no voltage, but resistance between the pin and ground on the car.

With shifter in "4" (pins are numbered as suggested above):

Pin 6, 7 and 8 no voltagedifference to ground

Pin 1 + 9,3 V

Hopefully you can get some reason out of this?

Hi Richard

Now I have tested the linear switch primarily in "D" mode, but also in "4".

Could the problem be with the +0,77V on pin 7, where it should read 0V? In fact caoud this be the reason I need to go towards 4 and back, before I can get the car rolling? Sometimes it's only as little as 1/4 of the total traveldistance to 4, that is needed, before D engages. Can I test simulate 0V in any way?

I don't like a couple of those readings but let me look back at the diagram.

Ok

If you tell me which readings you don't like, I can repeat them tomorrow to be sure

I want to double check the wiring to make sure

Here are the pin numbering and wire color.

Pin 1 light green/brown

pin 2 black

pin 3 white/gray

pin 4 red/blue

pin 5 red/gray

pin 6 light green/blue

pin 7 light green/black

pin 8 light green/purple

Lets perform the tests again in the same manner making sure we are on the correct pins.

According to your colouring I had the pin numbers correct. I get home from work quite late today - but as soon as I do. I will do the same tests again.
When I measure the resistance, I measure it aginst the ground wire for the radio, but I will also do it towards the two bolts with the multiple ground wires placed just under the gearbox sport selector.
Do you want me to make other measurements, than the ones I have done?
No that should be all. On all the grounds we should measure for voltage to ground as well as resistance.

I will be home in about 2,5 hours from now and do the measurements right away.

Ok

Hi

I measured again with the car not completely cold - mayby I should do measure again, when the car is cold (like when I have problems)?

The measurements I got was:

Shifter in D:

Pin 1: 0.10 V

Pin 6: 0.11 V

Pin 7: 0.77 V

Pin 8: 8.6 V

Shifter in 4:

Pin 1: 8.9-9.3V

Pin 6: 0.11 V

Pin 7: 0.11 V

Pin 8: 0.13 V

The above measurements have been done 3 times with almost identical results.

Those readings look good so the linear switch tests good. This leaves a mechanical problem with the linkage or possibly the TCM. Unfortunately testing the TCM is not possible unless we had a Jag factory tool.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

I have just made the measurements again with cold engine.

The measurements with the shifter i D are the same as you saw last, but the measurements in 4 are for pins 6+7: 0.01 V and 0.03 V for pin 8.

Today (when it has been warmer than the other days - doesn't know whether this has an effect) the car still wouldn't move when put directly in D. I only had just to move it very little towards 4 though (almost didn't get pass the corner near D, before the gearbox got engaged, and the car moved forward.

What electrical signals change, when I move the gearshift that little? When I look under the plate with the gearshift indicator, the tab, that by physical contact with the linear switch is able to change the output of the switch is not near the switch, during this small movement.

I can't help thinking whether it could have something to do with eighter of two things:

1. The position of the linear switch compared to the postion of the J-gate - maybe due to wear? Should I try to move the shifter a little? Do you think it would help?

Is it possible to take the linear switch apart and have a look, or does it have to be trial and error?

2. You mentioned earlier the airflow meter. If it measures the mass of the air passing by, the warmer the outside whether, the more water the air holds, and the heavier the air is. Maybe I should try remove the airfilter, and try to drive from cold in order to see, whether it makes a difference?

You seem to think, that it could be the TCM. As the TCM only reacts on electrical inputs, I'm back again at the question: Why will D get the engine moving, when I take the shifter just a tiny distance towards the 4? What is it that changes here?

I cannot see it having anything to do with the shifter arm or the cable, as none of them are moving making this move from D towards 4.