Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJS: Hello, I am currently looking at purchasing a Jaguar…

Hello, I am currently looking...
Hello, I am currently looking at purchasing a Jaguar XJS and am stuck on two that both look really nice. One is a 1989 Jaguar XJS coupe that has been professionally converted (by John’s Custom Conversions) with a Chevy Corvette V8 motor and Chevy transmission that has around 20,000 miles on the motor and a little over 95,000 miles on the car itself. The other is a 1995 Jaguar XJS 2+2 convertible (6 cylinder motor) with 62,000 miles on it with all of the dealer records and has been driven approximately 3 to 4 thousand miles per year and has been garage kept. The owner of this car has had it for the past fourteen years and has had the car serviced at the local Jaguar dealership even for oil changes. The 1989 Jaguar is priced at $6500.00 and the 1995 at $7500.00. Both of these cars look great and I am concerned about the engine reliability and maintenance of both vehicles. What can you tell me about these two vehicles and especially the 1989 with the converted motor?

Thanks,
Rick
1/9/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Marty, European Car Expert replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Hi Rick, if I were buying the car I'd go for the 95 every time. If you buy the 89 you are just buying the look you aren't really buying a Jag. Some people like that but I have never been a fan of the conversion cars. From a reliability and performance standpoint you cannot beat the 89 but it's not a Jag in my opinion. I also prefer the convertible over the coupe. The reliability of the 95 engine and transmission is just fine. They really don't have any inherent major problems. I suggest that you have the car that you prefer inspected for needed repairs and overall condition buy a Jag specialist before you make your decision. Also, replacement parts are getting harder and harder to come by on these cars. There is still plenty of spares available on eBay but many of the new parts are out of production. Maintenance is not that bad on the 95. In fact I think the 95 XJS was one of Jaguar's best efforts. I'd avoid the 89 if I were you.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please be sure to rate my service so I can receive credit for my help.

Marty
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert

Thanks a bunch!!!! The convertible really does look good and I have been kind of moving towards that one especially after talking with you.

Thanks again,

RW

You're quite welcome Rick.