Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type: J-Gate shift cable is stretched out... so it…

J-Gate shift cable is stretched...
J-Gate shift cable is stretched out... so it won't go directly from Park to Drive. When I try, it lands in neutral. I have to put into 3rd gear, then start driving, and once it engages, then I can shift back to drive and it's ok. This is a nuisance though.... what's easiest/cheapest way to resolve?
1/4/2014
Jaguar Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and Happy New Year. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today.

.

There was a service bulletin to replace the cable with an updated one, on some of them.

.

Issue:

Some owners of 2000-02 MY S-TYPE vehicles may experience difficult range selection, or an inability to start the vehicle.

These conditions can be caused by the following:

.

^ The inner transmission selector lever cable movement is restricted/stiff.
^ The outer transmission selector lever cable appears to be moving within the crimped ends.

An improved selector lever cable entered production on later vehicles to solve this

.

condition.

Action:

In case of a customer complaint of the above conditions on a 2000-2002 MY S-TYPE vehicle, install the new improved selector lever cable, available under the existing part number (XRB 33366).

.

….

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE ..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

.

Thanks - how much should I expect to pay for parts and labor on that?

Let me get the labor time along with some factory prices. how would you rate the answer so far though?
.

To VIN M45254

XR833366 $104.50

From VIN M45255

XR855991
$104.50
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Shift Cable

Replace

Selector Cable

S-Type

C 1.6

So probably around $250.
.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you.