Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

jaguar x-type 2.5: x type jaguar, daughter said she was driving…

x type jaguar, daughter said...
x type jaguar, daughter said she was driving and the brake pedal stuck and she could not seem to stop, it made a popping noise and broke free but seems to be softer when pushing the pedal and she does not think it is stopping as good.
12/24/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
skyvisions
skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
How many miles do you have on the vehicle and has she done or had a brake inspection done recently? Did this popping noise occur after the car had been setting for a while and she got in and started to drive away and it made the popping noise and broke free? Or did this happen while she was driving and came to a stop and it seemed to be locked up and broke free?

while she was driving car is used daily has 120'ooo miles had brakes done last year with rotors

When she uses the brakes now can she get the ABS to activate? Does the pedal feel firm? Have her pump the brake pedal six or seven times with the car not running and see if the brake pedal becomes very firm? This will bleed the vacuum off of the booster and if there is a problem hydraulically the brake pedal will still be mushy. Let me know how this goes.

pumped the brake never really got solid after around 20 pumps it changed but still very soft and never gets hard to push.

thanks wrong time of year trying to keep up.

If you cannot get a solid pedal with the engine off normally this indicates a hydraulic pressure problem. This could be anything from the master cylinder to one of the calipers leaking or even a ruptured line. You should have this inspected at a shop to determine what's going on. Double check the fluid reservoir make sure it's full. If it is substantially low then there's a leak somewhere. Let me know how this goes or if you need a second opinion after visiting a repair shop.. Sorry for the delay busy day with the family with Christmas.
skyvisions
skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician