Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Key will not turn in 2004 Jaguar X type ignition switch. Locked…

Customer Question
Key will not turn in...
Key will not turn in 2004 Jaguar X type ignition switch. Locked somehow. Mechanic suggested removing negative attachment to battery to perhaps reset codes, but that did not work. All electric systems seem to be OK.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and thanks for using Pearl.com
So right now the key can be fully inserted into the lock cylinder but it does not turn at all? Do you ha e another key?
Yes, key fully inserted. No, I do not have another. Key "fob" (for lack of better word) itself has not worked for about 3 months, but we were satisfied locking and unlocking car, and starting, without using fob. Unsuccessfully changed battery inside fob at same time as fob stopped working. Did not replace as new fob supposedly very expensive (certainly more than $100).Key alone has worked OK for several months. Rep at dealer says faulty fob should not be a factor.
Yes there us most likely a mechanical problem inside the ignition lock cylinder. We can try lubricating the cylinder with a graphite type lubricant or even some WD40. Insert and remove the key a few times then jiggle the key back and forth to see if we can get that cylinder to free up.
Makes sense. I will probably not be able to try something until tomorrow AM. Thanks for your quick response. I will most definitely keep in touch. Jag service wanted me to tow it in to them (25 miles away). I of course would love to avoid that. (Similar to going to a surgeon who immediately recommends surgery, who wants to jump at such an opportunity?)
Ok. Keep me posted.
Just tried Lock Ease, several times, into keyhole and coated key itself. Still did not work. Temperature dropped about 25 degrees, spray can says less effective in cold. I may try hair dryer to warm up everything. A possible complication is steering wheel is turned a bit more than normal, tires pointing at angle to restraint/stop on floor of garage, but steering wheel does not seem to be totally locked (can wiggle around an inch or so). Reason: Wife has to enter garage at an angle, and ease away from other vehicle when she parks.
We may have to replace that ignition cylinder but yes try to warm it up and jiggle both the key and steering ti see if it will free up.