Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XF Premium Luxury: Hi there I experienced an issue…

Hi there I experienced an issue...
Hi there
I experienced an issue this afternoon with my Jaguar XF 3.0D S.
I had been getting 'Smart Key Battery Low' messages on the dash but hadn't got round to changing it. I took the car out, no probs, but after stopping it, it wouldn't restart. It turned over but never fired. It seemed to me like the immobiliser was not de-activated. I changed the battery in the SmartKey but that didn't change anything and I then went home and got the spare key but it still wouldn't start. It seems a bit of a coincidence that this happened after the 'Smart Key Battery Low' messages. Is there any way I can reboot the immobiliser?
Putting the smart key into the dash slot doesn't change anything.
12/22/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.comIs the engine cranking but not starting or not even cranking?

It is cranking normally but not firing

Ok if it was the security or immobilizer then the engine would not crank at all. This sounds more like a fueling problem like a fault with the in tank lift pump. Diagnosing this without a Jag factory diagnostic tool will be difficult. Sometimes a battery reset will reset the vehicle ECU in case tat was the problem so you can try that as well. When trying to start press and hold the start button. I also know of some cases with the high pressure pumps and pump connectors.

Interesting - the fuel was low, but it was showing a range of 33 miles so it wasn't exactly running on fumes (and I have driven it right down to 2 miles without issues). I had read elsewhere that low fuel pressure can be an issue. I was intending on putting a gallon of diesel in tomorrow on the grounds that I haven't got any other ideas. I seem to recall as a kid that if a diesel ran out of fuel, you had to bleed the injectors - what do the modern diesel cars do? If you re-fill, do they just sort themselves out?

When you say battery reset, do you just mean taking one of the terminals off for a while?

OK yes I would definitely add a few gallons of diesel to see if it is the problem. You really do not have to bleed the system however it would be a good idea. Turn the ignition on and leave it on for 10 seconds. Then turn it off and wait about 15 seconds. Then turn the ignition on and leave it on for 10 seconds. Then turn it off and wait 15 seconds. Repeat this four times. Once the engine does start allow it to idle for 2 minutes before driving. Yes for the battery reset I usually only disconnect the negative terminal for a minimum of 10 minutes.

It's 01:00 now in the UK and I'm falling asleep - can I come back to you on this tomorrow?

It's not like I can try any of this stuff anyway - the car is 30 minutes away

Yes that is fine. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks Richard - Goodnight - speak tomorrow

Goodnight.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hi again Richard. Good news - the battery reset worked and the car started. Initially, it then provoked a 'Gearbox Fault' alert on the dash but this cleared (as I thought it might) when I locked the car up and unlocked it. So, without knowing what provoked it, it is currently running and there is no indication that anything is awry. I suppose that's the thing with these modern cars - too many electronics for their own good and every computer needs a reboot every now and then. I will now close this down with an Excellent review and thanks for your help.

Glad to see you are back up and running.