Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type R: I have a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R with 117,000.

I have a 2003 Jaguar...
I have a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R with 117,000. This weekend, the transmission started to slip and the the Transmission Fault light came on. I turned the car off and then restarted it and it seems to be fine. Should I be worried?
10/14/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When the Gearbox fault warning message comes on the transmission control module has detected a fault and may limit the vehicle to a fixed fourth gear and will store a fault code. I see issues with the software reprogramming for this gearbox fault warning. We would need to see what the fault codes are. A Jag service tool will be needed to read the codes in the transmission control module but if the yellow engine light came on there should also be codes in the ECM. Before going to the dealer or Jag shop try your local parts store as they should have an OBD II scan tool you can use. They will only be able to communicate with the engine control module but sometimes the code is stored in both the ECM and TCM. I will need the code number to be sure of the problem. It also can be caused by low fluid level but since there is no dipstick a dealer or shop will need to check the fluid level. As long as you do not feel any performance or shifting issues you can drive the vehicle but we should get those fault codes read just in case. If the transmission is shifting normally I would recommend having the dealer check the fluid level and fill it before repairing the leak. Then reprogram the TCM. Let me know.
Richard, Jaguar Technician