Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJL: What could cause a 2012XJL (sup) to stick in gear…

Customer Question
What could cause a 2012XJL...
What could cause a 2012XJL (sup) to stick in gear after using the paddle(up) while in "D" drive is selected at the console? We can pull to the side, stop and it remains in gear.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/9/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Are you saying that when using the paddles you cannot upshift past 3rd gear or you cannot move the shifter out of D?

The shift knob has been in "D" in all cases. The car has "locked" in gear during abrupt throttle increase right at the 2-3 shift point - happened twice. In an effort to duplicate the problem, we've tried to force the shift with paddles and have gotten it to "stick" a couple of times. When this happens, the instrument indicates manual mode - but never returns to "D" like the manual says. You can pull over, complete stop and wait - instrument remains showing gear and does not return to "D". Could this be a sensor issue? The manual says that it won't return to drive during acceleration, deceleration, or turning. Doesn't stopped, waiting, qualify?

It's my father's car - he told me when it happened, everyday driving, entering the freeway, it felt like it was in two gears at once, he had to pull to the side and restart the car.

Hi Richard,

What happened to the 15 minute response time? Ask.com showed that you would answer in 15 minutes when I sent the additional info you asked for. I have not "rated" your response because no information was given - just a question. I anxiously await your reply.

B Nichols

I am sorry for the delay as my computer crashed.

I am still confused as the shifting problem occurs when not using the manual paddles and when using the manual paddles?

It has happened twice under normal conditions. Low speed, light engine load, then the car in front moves out of the way and he accelerates moderately, most likely around the shift point from 2nd to 3rd. The car seems to stick in 2nd and stays there. He had to pull over and restart the car.

In attempting to reproduce the situation, he has been able to get it to stick in 2nd if he hits the accelerator and the "upshift" paddle at low speed.

If I understand the handbook, he's putting the car in "temporary manual mode" which is supposed to revert to auto mode if the vehicle is not under acceleration, deceleration or turning. When he reproduces the situation, the car stays in 2nd even after pulling to the curb and stopping. It never goes back to "D" on the instrument panel.

Is it getting a bad signal from some sensor? Or, is it a slow control module somewhere?

I know these are great trannys, but my dad is afraid to let my mother(77) drive the car in fear it will do the same thing to her. Something is wrong. My dad bought the first Jag XJ6 in 1986 when the new era started and has since had 4 XJR's.

Thank You

Usually tranmission shifting issues are software problems in the transmission control module so the dealer should have check to see if there are any updates. To clarify manual mode the TCM will not upshift when in manualk mode until you are about to hit the rev limiter. It will stay in the one gear until that point or if it sees the same throttle position for an extended period of time. This stradegy does change when in sport or dynamic mode but the basic principle is the same. To exit out of manual shifting press and hold the upshift paddle for 2-3 seconds and it should go back to standard drive.