Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Jaguar xjr: 2001 xjr gets hot it has got coolant the fan kicks

2001 xjr gets hot it has got coolant the fan kicks on while driving and runs after the car is turned off if I turn on the heater the temp comes down but fluctuate there is no water in the oil so Im thinking its the thermostat any ideas? thanks Mike

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

That could very well be the thermostat, there was a service bulletin on some of them for a revised part. Also, when you turn the heater on, the heater core will act like a small radiator, so you will want to try to feel around the radiator's core when it is warmed up to see if there are any cool spots. That would indicate a clog.

.

Here is what the bulletin states **** BULLETIN *******

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Hello Mike, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.