Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X-Type Sport: I have a 2003 X-Type with 51,000 miles.

I have a 2003 X-Type...
I have a 2003 X-Type with 51,000 miles. For the past several years I'll have a problem staring it. I'll turn the key all the way forward, but nothing happens. Then I'll try again and it starts, but the message comes on thah I have a gearbox problem, and the car will barely run until I shut it off. Then it will run fine. Have replaced the starter, and taken it to three shops where no one can find wat is wrong.
6/17/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When the vehicle will not start it does not crank at all? Can you move the shifter out of park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?

No, does not turn over at all. Can't move shifter out of park, and makes a funny noies if you try.

First try disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable for 1 hour and in that time see if we can recharge the battery as low voltage can cause this. Also look at the battery terminal cables to see if they are corroded. Let me know.
Richard, Jaguar Technician