Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X type: 2003 x type with 85,000 miles. Just encountered…

2003 x type with 85,000...
2003 x type with 85,000 miles. Just encountered an issue with transmission shift. Under normal driving trans shifts smooth. No problem. Problem comes in under hard acceleration @ 45 mph (wot). Trans seems to downshift, rev for a second or two and then hits the gear hard. Almost like it doesn't know what gear it is in or should be in. In "s" mode doesn't seem to do it as bad. The only reason I noticed this was during a test drive (car is for sale). No codes, no lights, no nothing. Read a lot on web, from low battery, to TCU to MAF. Trans fluid has never been checked or changed. Even after the shift episode, if driven normal to hard normal, all is well. One more thing to add: car has not been driven regularly in months, probably sat for 1 month prior to test drive tonight. Car was warm and at temp.
6/4/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Based on your description it does sound like an internal mechanical issue inside the transmission like a stuck shift valve in the valve body. The reason I say that is because in most cases if it were an electrical problem the gearbox fault warning usually comes on. Same goes for the TCM. You probably read about water leaking into the TCM which of course is a possibility b but again usually fault warnings come on. We should check the fluid level and condition but since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. Lastly the TCM learns your driving and stored this information in an adaption table. There are instances where these adaptions need to be cleared and reset but only a Jag factory diagnostic tool can do this.

I saw your post on how to change the fluid. Should I change it or just check it? How do you insure that the coolant is 94 degrees and not 101 degrees or whatever the temperatures you stated are?

I would just check it for know. As far as the temp it is the transmission fluid which would need to be monitored with a Jag tool which obviously you do not have so you need ti perform this check with the vehicle warm. Figure have it running for about 10 minutes.
Richard, Jaguar Technician