Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X-Type: 2002 jagar x forward gears are fine put in reverse…

2002 jagar x forward gears...
2002 jagar x forward gears are fine put in reverse can fill trans shift in reverse but will not move in reverse
5/12/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Any recent work done to your vehicle? Is the gearbox fault warning on?

nothing. had took it to have a bulb put in rear the shop called said unit would nt back up.

Did they do anything with the transmission like change the fluid.

nothing but a bulb from what the customer said. whats the deal of the reverse pin that ive heard about.

Hello Richard
I'm waiting

whats the deal of the reverse pin that ive heard about.

Sorry for the delay as I was having an issue with the site. There is a bolt above the driver side axle that if it is removed the reverse band will move off the pin and you will lose reverse gear.

would that make me have this issue

Yes if this bolt was loosened or removed.

according to the guy that brought the car in he said it was dropped off at a shop to have a bulb replaced and the shop called and said car will not back up

is their any way of checking that pin? would u feel it go in reverse if pin was off?

Unfortunately there really is no way to check the pin. Yes in some cases you can feel it engage but there is little to no pressure to move. It could even be another mechanical failure inside the unit.

is their any way for pin to just come off? how do u fix the pin?

I never seen this pin break or loosen up without the bolt being disturbed. It could also be the reverse clutch or drum as well.

do u think it could be in the transfer case? can you replace that pin anyway?

Usually when these transfer cases fail the vehicle does not move forward or in reverse.

You really cannot replace any internals of the transmission without removing it and dissembling it.

so u thinks its the transmission

Yes that is what it sounds lie to me.
Thanks for your help
You are very welcome.
Richard, Jaguar Technician