Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type: I have a 2000 jag s type. Gear knob was stuck…

I have a 2000 jag...
I have a 2000 jag s type. Gear knob was stuck in park. Just got it loose. Now in neutral. What can i do?
4/10/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Was the vehicle parked on an incline? Do you feel any resistance when moving the shifter.

no it was parked on level. I could not move it out of park. It has happened before but this was the worst and lasted the longest

Ok this could be a problem with the gear interlock solenoid located on the back of the shifter. If you were to remove the top section of the console you will see this solenoid screwed to the back of the shifter. On the bottom is a manual release that can be depressed. I think we need to start checking that to see if it does release with the vehicle on and foot on the brake.

how do i remove the top section of the console?

I was able to remove the "chrome" trim around the gear shift nob but not the wood trim.

Ok very easy on a 2000. Pull up the parking brake handle the unbutton the leather cover. Then going around the perimeter pull up slightly to disengage the console. Disconnect the lighter and console switches then the top part of the console can be removed.

ok I can try that but if it is now working will depressing the manual release give me any info or is that only if the nob is in a locked position.

No we need to check this when the problem occurs this way we can see if in fact that actuator is the problem then bypass it by pressing the manual release so we do not damage the cable or shifter assembly.

OK so it i understand your recommendation, when it occurs again, depress the manual release, if I can then put it into gear, it is likely a gear interlock solenoid problem. If depressing the manual release does not work then it is what? or what steps do I take? Is it easy for me to replace the interlock solenoid? about how much does it cost?

If it will not release when depressing the manusl release then it could be the shifter, cable or lever inside the transmission. The solenoid is held in by screws and is easily replaced.
Richard, Jaguar Technician