Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-type: AT shifts in and out of reverse no problem.

AT shifts in and out...
AT shifts in and out of reverse no problem. Once past N thru D and thru the gate there is increased resistance in the shifter. Transmission gears don't align with gear shifter. When I find a gear (usually between D and 5, 5 and 4, etc.) it falls 'out of gear' without regards XXXXX XXXXX Leading up to this problem the RPMs would wander while it was in D (this problem was maybe 500-750 RPMs of wandering, almost like a torque converter was going out or valve body issues). Took it to a local dealer and the guy says I need a new Shift Control Module. There are no transmission warning lights on. He said its a linkage in the scm that isn't working. He's not a jaguar mechanic. Everywhere I look it says a stretched cable or something to do with that.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The surge that you are feeling usually occurs when cruising at speeds from 30-50 mph?
Yes, that was approximately the range. It didn't happen all the time, but it was noticeable.
Ok I think we have more than one problem. The shifter issue is usually a problem with the cable which may need to be replaced or the two 8mm bolts holding the cable to the transmission may be loose.

For that surge it is from the torque converter. Before replacing the converter the fluid level should be checked and the TCM re flashed with special software by the dealer.
The estimate from the dealership says, 'checked for shift issue, found the shift control assembly broken. The unit is working at this time, but not correct. If the shifter is bumped or hit could slide into reverse and damage the transmission. The broken assembly does not allow it to lock out.'

Could you translate this to me? They want 850 bucks for the part. 400+ for labor. Where is this assembly located? Can I get this part used?

Thanks for your help!
That sounds like the shifter assembly itself. Those prices seem very high if in fact they are referring to the shifter. t sounds like they are unsure themselves. We may have to take it to a European repair shop or Jag dealer. I suspect we have a cable or shifter issue as well as that reprogram for the torque converter.
I ended up tearing the gate apart. The plastic piece on top that locks the shift arm in place is broke. Looks like it was broke once before and they glued it. I can't get a part for that area short of ordering a complete shifter assembly or ordering an aluminum aftermarket part for the linkage that connects to the shift cable. Thanks for your help!
Yeah it does sound like it will need to be replaced.
Richard, Jaguar Technician