Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ8: 2004 xj8 36k miles. Runs perfectly for 1-2 months.

2004 xj8 36k miles....
2004 xj8 36k miles. Runs perfectly for 1-2 months. Come to a stoplight or slow down and car shudders and goes into limp home mode. Dash lights up with errors--parking brake--stability--and idiot lights. Pull over. Disconnect battery for 30 seconds and reconnect. All fine again for a month or two. Battery tests good---but---original (9 years).
3/6/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Yes in most cases when all those warnings come and your vehicle goes into limp mode there is a problem with the throttle. To be sure we will need to have the system scanned for codes. Before going to the dealer use a generic OBD II scan tool from your local parts store to see if we can read any codes. They will be a P followed by four digits. I suspect we will either have a P0121 or P2135.

I just returned from AutoZone where they said they can only read check engine light codes.

If I buy an inexpensive OBDII can type reader, will that work and read all codes? Should I try another car parts place?

Just remembered something. The engine will sometimes change rpms up and down a very small amount (engine will throb or pulse) while gas pedal remains constant. A small gun of the engine, while in neutral, will clear up the problem. Since I have 3 Jaguars, and they all do it, I've gotten used to it.

Some times a fault code will be stored in the ECM which a good generic OBD II toll should be able to read. If not then a Jag tool is needed.

For your other problem does this surge occur when cruising at a steady speed at 30-50 mph.

I took it to a garage and they did not get a code. In the absence of a code, do you think that it is a dirty throttle body? If so, I don't think that is a do it yourself fix. What do you suggest?

Usually it is an electronic failure in the throttle so cleaning it most times will not help. The throttle is costly so I would hate for us to replace it without a fault code.

So what should I do next?

You can rent a scan tool and keep it in the vehicle so that when the warnings come on you can scan the vehicle before turning it off to see if there are any codes. Or you can go to Jag and have them scan the systems and request a printout of all codes. Then we should be able to determine the most likely cause.
Richard, Jaguar Technician