Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar Vanden Plas: I have a 2005 vanden plas. My car wouldnt…

I have a 2005 vanden...
I have a 2005 vanden plas. My car wouldn't start, had AAA out and they said my battery had a bad cell. Replaced the battery, still wouldn't start, had AAA come out again and they really didn';t do anything and it started. A couple of times I went out to the car and turned the ignition on and nothing and then it started. Just now, I was sitting inside the house and the alarm went off. I unlocked the door and it stopped. I noticed that all the defaults were lit; parking bake, transmission, dsc, parking brake, etc. The bright head lites were flashing on and off and the lock was opening and closing, along with the fuel gage going up and down. I put the key in the ignition and the car seemed to calm down , but after another couple minutes, the alarm went off again. This happened 3 times. I unhooked one of the battery terminals to disconnect the power to the vehicle and the same things happened... lights flickering on and off, gauges, etc. My car is possessed! Went I first changed the battery I went to an auto parts store and they checked the vehicle and said that the alternator, battery and starter were good.
2/6/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

RIght now is the engine not starting? When the engine does not start will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?

The engine starts. The shifter moves ok.

The battery is disconnected, so it won't start. DO you want me to still check the shifter

I just went out to the car and the shifter moves with the brake pressed or not.

are you there

Sorry for the delay.

Will the vehicle start? DO you have a voltmeter to perform some testing?

yes. I do not have a volt meter. The alternator was fine though.

Ok we first should look next to the battery for a two wire white connector that does not plug into anything. That wire lead was for a battery transit device installed from t he factory and was removed before delivery. If this connector is damaged then this problem can occur.

Also we may have a problem where we have something drawing down the battery causing low voltage. This is why I asked if you had a meter.

If there is a problem where we have something drawing down the battery causing low voltage what is causing the problem?

If the two wire white connector that does not plug into anything is damaged nd does not coneect to anything, how could it cause a problem being non functional?

If that connector is damaged or the wires crushed near the battery it will cause problems as the module can think that the transit device is installed. I have seen issues with the front and rear control modules staying awake which can cause an intermittent battery drain. Unfortunately we will need a meter to check this.

Ok. Thank you for the answer to the 2nd part of the question.

With respect to the first part, "If there is a problem where we have something drawing down the battery (not the two white connectors) causing low voltage what is causing the problem?" What are the sequence of things to check in order of probability?

Unfortunately pinpointing an intermittent drain can be difficult to do. We install an ammeter in series with the negative battery terminal cable to monitor the amperage as the vehicle is shut down and left locked. On your vehicle I see issues with th front and rear electronics modules as well as the radio causing battery draws.
Richard, Jaguar Technician