Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S-type: i have a s type jaguar 2005 auto and i am getting alsorts…

i have a s type...
i have a s type jaguar 2005 auto and i am getting alsorts of problems with it at the moment my car wont start. my dash board lights up. my battery is charged but for some reason when i turn the key to start the engine its dead and wont start. also Ive been having problems with my handbrake for some time. it keeps getting stuck on Ive already payed out hundreds of pounds to have it fixed and its away again can you explain whats happening
2/1/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

So right now the engine is not cranking? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake? Is the red security light at the top of the dash blinking rapidly?

yes its not cranking. the shifter wont move from park. and the ignition is all lit up,but wont start.

dash board is all lit up but when i turn the key nothing

the red light at the top of the dashboard is a constant red.

Ok first make sure the inertia switch did not trip which is located behind the lower left hand kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to push down on the switch to reset it. Also see if the P on the shifter is illuminated red.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

managed to get the car started Richard was I right to turn the ignition switch on first before pressing down the trip (rubber) button. I thought I could hear fluid running before I started the car. I still have a warning light on telling me I cannot release my handbrake for some reason its only happened since the car broke down. Richard can you tell me why my car would trip out like this and why this fault light is showing this surely would'nt have anything to do with car tripping out would it J.

Does the warning say parking brake fault or cannot apply park brake.

Sometimes both,it then says apply foot and park brake and constantly beeps when I drive forward. How do I stop the beeping Richard .

Went out this morning to start the car and the same problem happened the car did not start. I then went to the trip and pressed it Richard. The car responded and tried to start but did not can you explain what i need to do to stop the car from tripping.

When the engine did not start did you look to see if the P was illuminated red on the shifter? Also do you see any signs of water in the boot under the spare wheel cover.

Hi Richard the P was illumunated but the dashboard looked a bit dull, so I recharged the battery and low and behold the car started. Funny you should say that about water in the boot. When I was in the boot to charge the battery, I discovered that under and around the spare wheel there were signs of water. J.

Yeah lets have the battery tested and keep an eye to see if we have any water accumulations. Let me know.

Richard sorry not been in touch loosing the will to live here got the car to start took it for a run, runs ok but then but keeps cutting out on me all the old messages keep coming up hand brake fault, gearbox fault, now im getting disc not available,and restricted performance. When I hit the trip switch the car starts and the dashboard lights up as usual but soon the car cuts out. could it be a power thing rather than a brake fault or. gearbox fault could my problems be caused by a faulty battery Richard. regards J.

I am wondering if we have a power or ground connection problem. Since all those warnings came on there really is not much we can do without the stored fault codes in each module. We need to hook a Jag tool to the vehicle to read all stored faults.

Hi Richard thanks for getting back to me so soon. Is this Jag tool a diagnostic tool that reads all the faults. and what do you mean by ground connection problem. regards J.

Yes that is the tool I was referring to. As far as a ground it could be the battery cable ground connection or another ground in the vehicle.

cheers Richard i'll put the car into the garage and have them have a look.

cheers for now and thanks for all your help.

regards J.

let me know how you make out.

ok Richard

Talk to you soon.