Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XK8: 2000 Jaguar XK8 - Operating the Convertible top

2000 Jaguar XK8 - Operating the Convertible top is blowing the 40Amp Fuse found in the fuse box in the trunk very often but not all the time. I have replaced about 5 of these fuses in the last 6 months. The top seems to operate smoothly. Hydraulic Fluid level is good. Does this mean that the Hydraulic Pump is drawing to much current and needs to be replaced?

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Yes unfortunately it does seem like that pump is starting to fail as we previously discussed. I would like to first swap out the top up and top down relays just to rule them out first as that pump is very costly. Also make sure the fluid is not thicken up. Click on the link for the relay locations.

Relay

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is interesting that you mention the up and down relay because if I remember correctly the fuses have only blown when operating the top in the up direction.

Just to be clear you are recommending Swaping the Relays with new ones not moving the top relay into the bottom location and vica versa.

Yes I would recommend just replacing them honestly I think we are dealing with a pump or fluid issue but it may be worth a try as relays are not expensive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So after replacing the relays, the top was operating fine for about 5 open and close cycles but then the 40 Amp fuse began to blow again. The fluid in the reservoir looks like oil should when I shake the car it flows back and forth. So does this mean I have only one more option which is to replace the pump/motor. Is there any value/procedure for flushing out the old fluid and replacing it with new fluid first? Is this speacial hydraulic fluid?

Yes I would try flushing the fluid. I was thinking there may be a restriction in the system causing the amperage in the pump to spike but if the top is closing properly then it could just be a faulty pump. Remove the assembly then remove the fill plug. dump the fluid in a container then refill with new fluid which is a Pentosin CHF 11 fluid. If you do this a few times it should flush out the system.