Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S type: I have been working on a 2003 jaguar S type…

Customer Question
I have been working on...
I have been working on a 2003 jaguar S type 4.2L non supercharged for a overheating problem for about 2 months now. We overhauled the transmission for the customer 4 months ago. The customer came back about 6 weeks later with a EVAP small leak code. One of my techs let the smoke out of the ABS module while checking the vehicle out. We replaced the module. Had the modules reconfigured and returned vehicle to customer. Customer picked up vehicle and called 20 minutes later with vehicle overheating. Towed back in. The car does not seem to overheat at idle. At times you can drive the car with no problems. We have had numerous test drives. Going as far as 110 miles round trip with no problems. 2 to 3 day in a row no problem. When it does overheat, it does so in the first 5 to 10 minutes you'00re driving. Temp will climb. We shut it off at about 220 degrees. Fans runs on high and temp falls fast (within 2 to 3 minutes) back to165. Start driving again temp will go right back immediately. Also there is no heat coming out of vents. If you continue to start. Drive. Stop cool down and drive again, eventually you will get heat from dash and vehicle will no longer get hot. The vehicle does purge coolant out off the expansion tank when this happens. It acts like air pockets. We have bled the system several times. Even tried an air lift. Replaced the thermostat. Radiator and the control valve. All factory jaguar parts. Also pulled water pump to inspect. We have check for combustion gases in coolant chemically. And pressure checked for leaks (that is why radiator was replaced. Seam was seeping). Also we pressurized the system overnight and only lost 3 psi which could have been the tool. There was no misfires the next morning on start up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The customer has been a saint up until this point. But we need to get her vehicle back. She believes this is our fault.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Jaguar
1/7/2013
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 9 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Have you tried replacing the the thermostat?
Yes. Twice. The first one was aftermarket. The second one was a jaguar factory part.
Sometimes the thermostat housings can actually crack internally causing this. This can only be seen if the thermostat is removed and can easily be missed if they were not looking for it.

Does it crack on the housing the thermostat locks into? Or the side that is on the intake?

Both but it cracks more on the part that stays on the engine when you remove the thermostat.

Ok. I am working on this myself now. I have moved my techs off it. I will look at it real good this evening when I go to put the water pump back on. I will email you back and let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Ted

Ok sounds good. Also make sure the small metal insert is inside the thermostat cover where the thermostat pin goes in.

Richard, sorry I did not get a chance to get back on it last night. Will let you know something tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Ted

Ok no problem.

No cracks in either housing. The metal insert is also there. What is the procedure you use to bleed this particular vehicle? I just keep thinking it's air trapped.

With the system drained you remove the small bleed screw on the tank and fill with a 50/50 split of Jag coolant and water. Once completely full cap everything and take it for a long drive.

Richard, I put the vehicle back together. Went to fill the system and the car was attempting to get hot while sitting in the bay idling. We have installed a new radiator, water pump, coolant flow control valve and 2 different thermostats. All new from Jaguar except the water pump. We have also tried to bleed the system multiple times. When the car over heats you will have no coolant flow through the heater lines (lines are cold). When the heater lines get warm or hot the car does not overheat. The upper radiator hose will be hot. The lower hose warm. Any other ideas. Also the fans do come on and pulse with up and down as they should.

Thanks,

Ted

Were the fans staying on high when the engine was running hot.
Yes. When the engin hits about 210 the fans run on high and slowly pulse down and shut off about 190. When the runs hot the heater line are not hot. If the heater lines get hot the car does not overheat.
We either have an air pocket or possibly a defective thermostat. Perform that headgaket leak test again just to make sure.

I did try the chemical combustion gas test again last night. No sings of gases in the coolant. What's the purpose of the electric water pump? Does it send coolant to the heater core? Also do you have any charts or diagrams that show cooling system operation?

Thanks,

Ted

Yes that electric aux water pump pumps coolant to the heater core. Usually when they go bad you will have poor heater and not an intermittent over heat. We should make sure it is working. Yes let me see if I can send over a diagram.

Ok. I am going to see if I can check the pump. At times I do not have heat. That's when the car gets hot as well.

Ok let me know.

Richard. With a stethoscope I can hear the Aux. pump running. Should there be a bypass or block off plate in the thermostat housing?

Not really a block off plate but there is a rounded chamber that is like a bypass.