Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ8: My 2004 xj8. Has a surge effect. The engine lite…

My 2004 xj8. Has a...
My 2004 xj8. Has a surge effect. The engine lite is not on, I suspect the converter isn't locking & unlocking properly
9/10/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Do you feel this surge when you are cruising between 30-50 mph?
Yes. And it feels strange when it shifts at lower speeds. And when I stop
Relist: Answer came too late.
Sorry for the delay.

This is usually caused by the torque converter however before replacing any components we need to have the TCM reprogrammed at the dealer. There is software to fix the surge.
I may have a trans fluid leak. How can I check fluid level & add fluid?
Unfortunately since there is no dipstick it is not easy to check and add fluid. There is a plug on the passenger side rear of the transmission that is removed then the fluid will flow out if full. This is done with the fluid warm and the engine running on a level surface or lift.
Thank you Richard. One more, what type fluid should I put in it
Only the Jag fluid should be used as you do not want to mix fluids.
Richard, Jaguar Technician