Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar s type: Hi I have and issue with my 2002 s type jag…

Hi I have and issue...
Hi I have and issue with my 2002 s type jag 2.5 sport. I runs totally fine but when you get to 56 mph you feel a slight judder as if its going into top gear then it never does it again.....go under 56 mph and accelerate past it judders again?
many thanks
thomas
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Can I have the last six digits of your VIN? Do you feel the engine surge at all when this happens?

vin m49702

just a slight jolt XXXXX XXXXXke a bad gear change, its smooth all the way until then , ive read it could be the torque converter? was hoping it was just a fluid change.

my girlfriend says there is a surge richard

Ok yes it does sound like we have a problem with the torque converter. In some cases the TCM can be reset and reflashed which does correct some shifting problems. Jag does not recommend changing the fluid as part of maintenance. I would recommend having a specialist or dealer check the fluid level and condition.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Morning Richard, rainy day here in Edinburgh, right I took the car out today to see if it was a six gear change or just a judder....at 56 mph the it goes into top gear you see the revs drop once it has done this. this is where the judder usually is, I ran the car to a straight close to home got it up to speed and it does not judder....I think this is because the engine is cooler and the transition fluid is also cooler /thicker. you said Jag doe not recommend gear box fluid changes why is this?

cheers

Thomas

They say the unit is sealed for life so they do not recommend any fluid changes. I can tell you that we have changed the fluid on some and it did help the shifting. There are rare cases that changing the fluid actually makes it worse. We do need to verify that it is full as you can have a small leak from the pan, connector sleeve or cooler lines.
Richard, Jaguar Technician