Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ6: i have a 97 jaguar xj6 my car is discharging,bought…

i have a 97 jaguar...
i have a 97 jaguar xj6 my car is discharging,bought a new battery, alternator and it starts right up but still showing discharge over night it won t start the next day
8/5/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: MichelleK-Admin,
 replied 10 years ago
MichelleK-Admin

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

my email won t go through having trouble with login in
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.

Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running.

The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

could you simplyfy your answers how can i check to see if there is a drain or if something is staying on that is draining the battery
Hello

OK to check for a battery drain you 1st need an instrument that can measure electrical current - the rate at which electricity flows

like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTECH-MS2108A-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-AC-DC-Current-Volt-Tester-/310410680258?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4845eb17c2

the device is then clamped onto the main battery positive lead - the red one
with everything turned off inisde the car the amount of current should be 0.05amps

its probably more than this in your case

you then start pulling out the fuses in the fuse box one at a time to see by how much the current reading drops as you pull each fuse

if you find a one find that makes a change - make a note for what circuit that fuse is for and then check over the components and connections in that circuit

ie . if by removing the fuse for the radio, then suddenly drops the current down to 0.05amp then its likely the radio is remaining on internally despite being switched off and may need replacing to fix the issue
Matt, Engineer