Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type: After parking my 2000 S-Type Jaquar, I am unable…

After parking my 2000 S-Type...
After parking my 2000 S-Type Jaquar, I am unable to get the transmission to shift out of PARK. The car is parked up-hill but will not roll back and I can't push it forward. The car starts and runs fine. There are no trouble lights of any kind on the dash display. What can I do to shift out of PARK?
8/4/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
JagLandyFord
JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician
Welcome to JA.

There are 3 possible causes I have experienced on these vehicles.
1. Transmission internal linkage failure. - Seized
2. Selector cable seizure
3. Shift lock solenoid - failure.

With 1 & 2 you will have a feeling of perhaps being able to slightly move the lever - as if "stretching" the cables can be felt.
With 3 - the lever will feel locked solid.

Please ensure that you have brake lights fully operational when foot brake is applied. - The brake pedal switch sends a signal to release the shift lock solenoid on the selector lever assembly. Sometimes these fail or the fuse blows. This will fail to allow the lever to be pulled out of Park position.
If no brake lights - please check your vehicle handbook for the fuse location for the brake lights - and check condition. - If deemed ok - you may have a faulty brake light switch.

If brake switch all appears ok - lights work etc -

The easiest option I feel is - to gain access to the Shift Solenoid underneath the gear lever. This can be accessed by - removing the gear trim surround. It should prise up with either string fingers or if careful - a screwdriver. Then you will see a solenoid attached to the selector lever mechanicals. This can be removed by unscrewing the 2 screws securing it at diagonal corners of the solenoid. The shift solenoid is about 2 inches in diameter and of square plastic appearance.

If you remove this and you are then able to select drive - then this is your cause. If you are still in the stuck state - you will need to try to disconnect the cables from the transmission assembly - to see if your can move the lever on the transmission or that the cables are moving freely.

I hope this helps to resolve your concern.
Regards JagLandyMan
I got some help to rock the car back and forth a little while trying to shift out of Park. This enabled me to shift OK, and now the car shifts normally. Your above diagnosis doesn't seem to account for the recovery by rocking the car. Until I find a root cause, I'm concerned the problem may return.
Hello again. I appologise. I assumed that you had already attempted "Rocking" of the vehicle. I will attempt to explain why this was locked in park to help you avoid a similar instance again. When "Park" is selected - not only does it disengage "drive" of the transmission. It also "locks the gearbox". There is a motion shaft in the transmission - which normally outputs drive to the prop shaft and thus to the rear differential. On this motion shaft inside the transmission is a "sprocket" which has large square like teeth manufactured into it. This is not for meshing into gears etc. There is a locking mechanism - which is activated mechanically when "park" is selected. This engages a "Pin" into these teeth. This will then lock the motion shaft up and will not allow the shaft to turn. Now because the prop shaft is attached to this and thus to the rear diff, - this will stop the vehicles wheels from moving.

A problem can occur such as you have experienced - when parking on a hill - if you select the "Park" position of the lever, and then possibly allow the vehicle to roll back ever so slightly - before then applying the Park Brake.

What this does is - it causes the motion shaft, with the locking teeth to jam against the pin that is locked into it. Now because you have the weight of the car pulling against it on the hill, - it will be very difficult to disengage the "Park lever". This is because the pin will not easily slide out of the park sprocket teeth.
To avoid this happening in future it is advisable to park at any time using the following method / procedure:

1:Keep your foot firmly on the foot brake.
2:Engage the park brake firmly.
3:Now select "Neutral" briefly. (At this point - the vehicle may ever so slightly move to settle into its park position) Being in neutral, will now stop the vehicle from jamming against the park pin.
4: Now you can finally put the gear selector lever from Neutral into Park.
5:Finally release the footbrake.
Once you get into this little habit - it should avoid any further occurrences, but it is especially important to try to do this when parking on any hills. I hope this explains why you experienced the "park locked" concern, and will aid you in avoiding this concern again. Regards JagLandyMan
JagLandyFord
JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician