Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XK8: Hello, My XK8 1997 is blocked on the "P" position.

Hello, My XK8 1997 is blocked...

My XK8 1997 is blocked on the "P" position. I can unblocked the gearbox when I pusch on the button next to the gear-lever and drive correctly. But the problem is that I'm not able to pass from the "P" position to the "D" position : it's blocked.
Do you know what can be the root cause? Thanks you so much for your support. Guillaume.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/15/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Is the P lite up red on the shifter? Can I have the last six digits of your VIN?

Hello Richard,

The VIN plate is P40I SPU and the chassis n° SAJJGAED4AR013798.

On "P" position, the lite up is red and when I try to move the shifter, the light switch off and the shifter is blocked between the "P" position and the "R" (but really closed to the "P" position).

For information, I have the feeling that normally when I push the brake the shifter should deconnect, but nothing. Is it a sensor problem which autorize the gear-lever to move?

(sorry in advance for my English, it's not perfect).

Guillaume

Thanks for the info.

Can you confirm that your brake lights are working when you depress the pedal?

No the brake lights don't work when I press the pedal. I've checked the fuse: no problem.

Do you where is the pedal sensor ?

I'm going to check this soon. Thanks a lot.

Guillaume.

Yes the brake switch is located on the pedal bracket assembly. It is held in by two small nuts accessed from in the engine compartment. If you have a digital multimeter we can perform some electrical tests.
Richard, Jaguar Technician