Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ8: Juaguar 2004 XJ8: Drove the car about 200 miles…

Juaguar 2004 XJ8: Drove...
Juaguar 2004 XJ8: Drove the car about 200 miles yesterday. It worked fine. This morning the car wouldn't start. It appears that I have power, the lights come on, the seat adjusts, etc. Fan and radio work. The following alters come on the screen: Gearbox fault, ABS fault, Parking Break fault, and DSC not available.

Even with the switch on and break depressed, I cannot move the gear out of the Park (P) position.
7/15/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Is the P lite up red on the shifter? Can I have the last six digits of your VIN?
The "P" does light up.

The last six digits of the VIN are G32395.
First lets make sure the inertia switch did not trip. To reset it just depress the top of it to reset it. It is located behind the driver front kick panel near the hood release. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through. I would first check the connections at the front fuse box in the engine compartment. Loosen and remove the 8mm bolts to see if any of the connectors are corroded. Next behind the passenger headlight there are two grounds. Make sure they are clean and secure. If you have a digital multimeter we can perform some testing but of course we are limited without the Jag factory tool.
I read several older posts yesterday and spotted the recommendation to depress the inertia switch. I tried it but to no avail. I'll repeat after following your advice and get back to you.

Rob
Ok let me know.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Checked the connections - no corrosion found. Still wouldn't start. Tried to jump start - wouldn't crank. The jumper cable clamps were not warmed so no significant juice flowed between the two cars. But good news - I disconnected the jag's battery and waited 10 minutes. Then reconnected and the car started. Looks to me like the action reset something allowing the car to start. Again the battery checked out fine. Not sure what the problem was/is. I'll get it to a jag mechanic before it fails again.