Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 Jaguar X Type: tranny..OHMS and what pins on the harness edt…

I need instructions on how...

I need instructions on how to test all of the Solenoids in the transmission of a 2002 Jaguar X Type, 2.5. It has a Jatco Tranny. I also need what each Solenoid should read in OHMS and what pins on the harness ect. Thank You! I need detailed instruction on how to test the ohms of all tranny solenoids, pin locations, numbers ect.

The car had a code for shift soleniod b electrical, and a p1111, the car goes in and out of limp mode, and im afraid to drive it far, i hate limping home, do you think it can be resolved by changing the shift solenoid b? I dont want to replace that one and end up having another code or solenoid come up i would like to test all of them.

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

You could have a faulty solenoid as we can check the resistance of the solenoid and compare it to shift A and C. Go right to the transmission harness connector and disconnect the larger rectangular connector. With a digital multimeter set to ohms go to the trans side of that harness connector and place one lead to pin 18 black wire and the other to pin 10 brown wire. This is solenoid B which should read around 16 ohms. We can also check solenoid A by ohming pin 18 and pin 9 black and solenoid C by ohming pins 18 and pin 11 green. Again all should read around 16 ohms but the reading can vary with temp.

I will check the Solenoids in about an hour and see what happens. Also if the solenoid is bad, when I remove the pan to change it, where should I refill the tranny with fluid? Should I re-fill it with fluid through the rubber plug under the battery or should I remove the hex bolt plug and fill it there? And what is the difference between the rubber plug and the hex bolt?

Fill it through the rubber plug.

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill

• Raise and support the vehicle
  • Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug
  • Remove the transmission drain plug
  • Install the transmission drain plug; Tighten to 45 Nm
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification
  • Fill the automatic transmission with up to 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe
  • Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment

Transmission Fluid Level Check

• Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position
  • With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through ' P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the ' P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F)
  • When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position raise the vehicle
  • With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug, Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer
  • If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube
  • Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).
  • Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • Install the transmission fluid level plug, Install a new level plug and sealing washer, Tighten to 15 Nm
  • Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Lower the vehicle

Here are some pictures to help locate the drain, fill, and level check plugs:

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

1. Transmission Drain Plug (bolt)

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

2. Transmission Fill Plug (Rubber Bung)

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

3. Transmission Level Check Plug (bolt) __________________

The transmission in my 2002 was replaced a year ago with an 2003 transmission out of another jag x type 2003, the wire colors are different, and I have no idea how to identify the pin numbers for testing can you send me detailed information on how to identify the pins? Thank You so much!

Hi Richard, I think I found the correct pin configuration. The transmission is newer 2003, Here are the readings: pin #'s 18 & 10 read 17.8 ohms 18 & 11 read 17.1 and 18 & 9 read 17.0, the trans was cool at the time of readings and was not started for 2 days. I just put the harness back together and started the car now it is fine with no errors and is out of limp mode. I am going to check the readings again after starting the car and getting the tranny warm/hot, to see if there are any major changes.

Could this problem be the TCM and what do you think about the readings it gave? Thanks! Michael

I also tested the solenoids after letting the car run for about 30 minutes, each solenoid tested at 1ohm higher than the previous test. Are these testing bad? 18 & 11 and 18 & 9 are giving about the same ohm reading while 18 & 10 is always 1 ohm higher, is this normal? Thank You so much and you will get pos feedback and paid! Great Job and just so you know I have been following your posts for years on here...
Sorry for the delay. The kids and I are all sick.

I do think we have a solenoid problem especially since that sole B is higher than the other two. Just in case we should check for water in the TCM but usually this will cause more than one code. The TCM is located behind the driver dash behind the fuse box. It is a silver metal module with one 37 wire connector on it. Remove the 10mm nuts for it and remove it to inspect.
I will check the TCM this eve, and inspect for water damage/corrosion.
Ok let me know.
I have removed the battery box, battery metal bracket and then removed all bolts to the tranny solenoid cover/case, I examined and checked all solenoids inside, removing each one and looking for any type of blockage, I replaced the "shift solenoid b" with a new one I had air mailed to me, and examinded all wiring harnesses inside the case. I put everything back together again, and filled with 7 quarts of fluid plus 1 quart of lucas tranny oil. I test drove for about 10 miles last night and everything now seems ok. No codes and shifting properly, I live on a mountain 2800ft in elevation, it drove as new last night, I am taking it out for a 150 mile trip today and we will see how it does, I hope that it is fixed. Thank you for all of the helpful information you have provided. I will post again tonite!
Ok sounds good. Keep me posted.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hi Richard,

The car drove for about 20 miles today and slipped into limp mode, I drove it another 10 miles to my appointment and then back another 20 miles to the nearest auto parts, I ran the code on it and the code was p0778 and the reader said "shift solenoid b electrical" again. We cleared the codes, and did a reset and the car drove home fine, as a note the car spit out a bit of tranny fluid from the overflow probly about a 1/2 quart when it went into limp mode. It seems to only do this when the tranny is hot.

1. Could the transmission cooler be blocked and not circulating right?

2. What about the radiator fan?

It seems that it only does this when the tranny is hot, I don't know why?

Now its driving fine again...LOL but I'm sure the problem is not fixed and it will go back into limp mode.

I am taking the TCM out now to inspect. Any suggestions?

If you think the tranny is gone I can handle the truth...LOL Please Advise!

Once again I thank you for your help! I will accept and give you the most postive feedback ever I have been following your posts for a couple of years now! Thanks Again!

Yes it is very possible the unit is overheating which can cause this. As far as the cooler being blocked you will see it behind the lower part of the bumper and there actually is a thermostat on the cooler but honestly I have only see one of these bad. I think if there was a fan issue the engine will also run hot. The 2002 did have some transmission issues. Usually if we just have the one solenoid code it is usually bad. We should inspect the TCM just in case but it may be an internal mechanical failure which may start to worsen.

I just checked the TCM and it is fine visually. No signs of corrosion or water. However it was pretty hot, I removed it just after I got back from the trip. So the car was hot. Do the TCM's go bad ever? should I order one and try that?

Just as a not there was very small metal particals stuck to the drain plug, not much to raise alarms with me but there was a bit, how much is normal on the metal wear?

What could go bad internally to cause this? Every gear is there and its only doing it after it gets hot, I had a trans out of a 2003 Jag x type put in about a year and a half ago, the trans has 70+ thousand miles itself the car it was taken from only had 43,000. Just as a note,
Other than a water or corrosion the TCM generally does not go bad. I think I may have replaced three for none water issues and none was for a solenoid problem. I do not think the module is the problem but you can swap it out if you would like. The problem is whether you get a new or used module the dealer will need to program it. We may have a sticking valve in the valve body causing this. There may be some metal on the end of the plug as if it is just black flakes that is clutch material and I would not be concerned. If it is metal shavings then this is not a good sign.
Is there any way of checking the tans cooler? removing it and using air maybe? If the TCM board is getting hot should I get a new one? Thanks! I hope you are feeling better!Just flakes on the bolt, I was actually thinking of removing the valve body and checking it out.If I get a used TCM off ebay would the dealer need to program that?
I actually use an infared thermometer and measure the temp on both sides of the cooler like you would do to check a radiator. The TCM will get hot but I would not be too concerned. You can leave it un bolted and just wire tie it further down to keep it cooler.

Funny I am actually in the waiting room of a medimerge, kinda like an ER for non emergencies.

Dealer still needs to program it.

Hi Richard,

I removed the TCM and wire tied it onto the fuse box, I drove the car yesterday and it drove fine for 60 miles, then it showed transmission fault without going into limp mode, a few hard shifts, cleared all codes and now she is driving fine, I think the fluid change has loosened the "gunk" and as it passes through the tranny it acts weird, I will flush and change it a few more times, but I think it will be okay! I hope I can get most of the gunk out, It's clogging the solenoids, I am sure of that otherwise we are good to go, I thank you for your help!

Please let me know that you got paid and I gave a 10.00 tip also for your extra help!

Thank You,

Michael,

Ok keep me informed and let me know how you make out.

Yes thank you for the tip and for using justanswer.com.