Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

s type: V8..no issue.Along comes tuesday and I drove it to the store…

Customer Question
I got information from another...
I got information from another Jag expert but a change has occured since we spoke.
I have a Jag s type V8. Last weekend it refused to go into gear. The expert stated there was nothing to do but bring to a shope and have a repair or part replaced.
On Sunday I started the car again and it went into gear immediately and there was no issue.
Along comes Tuesday and I drove it to the store. When I came out it started and engaged gears , reverse immediately. Then I was stopped by someone I know and the put the car in park(automatic reaction), When I tried to move off the car again stuck in park and will not move into gear.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/25/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Right now if the P on the shifter illuminated or blinking? Can you tell me if the brake lights are working?

yes, the brake lights are on when I touch the pedal. The shifter blinks untiI put my foot on the brake. Sometimes, however, the P blinks for a second or two and then remains solid.

I saw in a forum that it may have to do with a fuse.If so,what fuse?

Your problem is caused by a fault with the shifter assembly which will need to be replaced. Since the problem is intermittent it would not be a fuse issue.
Have you any tips on how to take it out of park?
There is a manual release on the driver side of the shifter. you need to remove the woodgrain then you need to use a screwdriver and move the lever as you pull the shifter out of park.

could you give a hint as to how I recogize the lever. Sorry for all the questions. This is my last. Thanks again. I'll more I'm sure.
Copy this link as it will show you the interlock release.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/crzydrvr00/2009-01-04_232956_xtypeshifter.pdf

Richard, Jaguar Technician