Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 Jaguar X type: tranny ( automatic )..slip..test drive…

Customer Question
My wife has a 2002...
My wife has a 2002 Jaguar X type with 145 k miles. the tranny ( automatic ) is starting to slip. It's my wife car so I finally took it out for a test drive and what is does is the following.
after warm up aprox. 15 miles, normally on a uphill load, at varible speeds, while in the drive position. Never any work done on tranny or motor since new.

1. engine will rev up and car slows down, need to back off the acellerator for tranny to kick back in.
2. I manually shift to 3rd gear and it was better at first and then same thing, 2nd gear I couldn't duplicate problem.
3. Tranny has been doing some unusual rough shifting back and forth between gears on an incline for a few months.
4. Now when I shift to reverse, it's a rough shift and a clunk when it goes into reverse.
5. The red malfuntion powertrain warning light comes on ocassionly.
What I want to know is if this might be minor or not and if it is worth (if needed) to replace the tranny.
6. What should a rebuilt tranny run for this car.
I am going to take in to a tranny shop, but I want to be a little more educated on this first.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
3/22/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Has the check engine light also come on?
Yes it goes off and on because the cataletic converters need to be replaced
Ok based on your description I suspect a mechanical issue inside the transmission. The unit will either need to be overhauled and rebuilt or replaced. As far as the cost it will vary. Most transmission shops will charge about $2500-$3000 for the repair. Your local dealer would recommend replacing the unit with a factory re manufactured unit so the cost will be more.

Please let me know what the rebuilt should cost based on my cars model being X-type SPORT with AWD.

Thanks

A trans shop would charge about $3000 to rebuild yours while a dealer would charge about $5000 for a factory reman.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Just FYI, I live in southern cailornia and the going rate around here is about $7,500.00 for a rebuild. The good old california bend you over system is still in effect here. Anyway, thanks for all your info and help. But as no surprise, I will be getting rid of this car now.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Wow that is high. I though we were high in the east coast.

Let me know if you need anything else.